Chapter XX: Bent knees

A petite (both in physique and in height) feline-bipedal woman with dense brunette hair and aquatic eyes, dull orange and "blacker than a night on a new moon evening" spots sporadically & purposelessly amidst a coat of creamy white fur, effortlessly bolsters a pale divergent elven white haired bronzed-up and brawny Royland atop a sea of sand-scorched corpses. Along the harsh daylight off the horizon, a grey maned catlike Goliath cloaked with mind numbing monochromatically dull fur, equipped a black elongated rimmed cap atop their partially dyed orange muddy brown hair- just enough to barely grasp an eye- and a finely-spun silk black and white tuxedo, topped with the head of a rose, topples through gawkers to aide his majesty from the vile bandits. Upon his eyes, a unpredictably gruesome shock pierced through his pointed fur as he stoped dead in his tracks. At this point, the grim reality held his arm as if for the first time since he were but a mere child in his mother's arms recklessly and chaotically relinquishing focus. As if it were his teen years on his first night amongst his peer forcing his honor to prioritize his wellbeing over pressure of belongingness.

Aegon withdrew a bristle unique blade, lathered in a myriad spectrum of paints. Authority from his grim understanding once he denied quelled his knee to the sands, beckoning the strength not solely from Lapis, yet from the sight before the city feverishly bestowed by the descendant; Royland. As his knee met the sand, as to did his blade on the side of his hips. Beyond the princess, a field- once a tanned void, now painted by a grim, crimson.

The fainted elven child, prodded over the shoulders by the petite princess, is rested at the gates to paradise. A crowd of shivering calicos awe and grimace at the sight, fearful of the fate they could suffer at the hands of Roy...

Aegon, who knew his place, intended to lead as an example. The princess bends down, leveraging his weight to the grounds before the city of Calicostan. Withdrawing her two scimitars, the crowds gasp in fear, slightly panicking at the mere prospect... Instead, she clamps the blades together, bending a knee to the descentant.

Sparta, who stands behind Aegon the defender, initiates bending a knee to the same sense as the princess, synchronized by an entire crowd of gawkers. As if in harmony, the melody graced the audience, cleansing the coated gunk off the battle field, back to its original void-like origin.

In the distance, she watched... A tall, slender silhouette of a feminine winged geisha stood above the city. Roy caught a facade through his crusted eye, bracing the harsh sunlight, whilst the flare blurred his vision.... trying to hold on, he found himself succumbing to his drought, finally collapsing into an indefinite trancelike state that felt like seconds.

As his comatose body dragged itself out of bed, drenched in a cold sweat, he felt fatigued... yet, well rested.

Familiar voice: There you are!

To his right, there she was... Lapis.

Roy: Huh? Where am I?

Lapis: You passed out, silly! This is my room... I've been sleeping riiiiiiight here!

Nothing was beneath her except an oak floor and some rags.

Roy: The floor?

Lapis, smiling and nodding: Yup!

Roy: Pretty unfitting for a princess ...

Lapis, sitting and looking up at him: Well, a queen would be more accurate. Mom's dead, and dad offed himself in sorrow. Even if we changed our fates, somethings won't always go the way we want them too... but, that's life, isn't it?

Roy, dry heaving: a grim reminder of the consequences of our actions...

Lapis, handing him a glass of water: You must be quenched!

Roy, after chugging the water, whipped his lip. It was then he began feeling his face, going into a brief shock upon feelings the soft bristly grain on his skin. Though it was subtle, Lapis noticed his rather apparent shock.

Lapis: oh dear!! My apologies. You're probably wondering how long you've been out, huh?

Royland nods.

Lapis: Not that long, only *counting on her fingers* two full moons! But, I was here to make sure that you were well fed and taken care of... I basically never left your side!

Royland's cheeks turned a brief rosy red, but composing himself, he returned to a calm neutral and composed posture. Grasping the nearest solid object, he aligned himself upright, trembling in unease...

Lapis rushed to help him up, but it was clear that he wasn't going to make it very far.

Royland braced stars, and quickly lied back down in a split second decision. Lapis held his hand in a tight, yet concerning grip.

Royland: Thank you...

Lapis: Honestly? You shouldn't go anywhere... I will help you recover, however our court appointed cleric also is better with healing than I am.

Royland: I... I seldom see hospitality such as yours. Divines bless you, my friend. But... the world is at stake, and if I rest for any longer, I surely will yet again fail the test of those blessed divines, would I not? It already took 18 years for my return... and my friends haven't been seen for two full-moons. If they're not by my side, I fear for their safety.

Lapis, standing up: Want me to look for them?

Royland, turning in awe: You'd do that...?

Lapis: Of course! I'll be sure to bring Lord Aegon with me too.

Royland, shivering: That one scares me...

Lapis: Oh? Him? He's harmless, well... I guess only when he needs to be harmless. Needless to say, his job is to protect me.

Royland: I'll take it upon myself to return the favor one day... soon, I hope. For your sake and for the sake of the world.

Lapis bends down beside Royland, at eye level once again. Her arms wrapped around his body, tightly gripping his back to her torso, and caressing his vibrant silk hair with her paws. She pulled away, not before kissing him on the cheek, causing them to rose up. He lied back, looking at the ceiling once again, trying to process his feelings for her. She smiled, removing her swords holstered on the wall, placing dual cutlasses in the form of an "X" behind her back. As she exited her bedroom, her body language signaled the guards to close the door and keep an eye on the descendant... Aegon, who was patiently awaiting her return, followed the queen by her shoulder, ready to take their leave into the wilderness for the first time...

As she exited her chambers, her people ceremonially bowed to her in anticipation for her respect and to honor her. However, Lapis signaled a plea, asking them to rise.

Lapis: I am no god. A mere mortal. You shall treat me as such.

She continued to gracefully walk down the aisle and into the realm of Calicostan in search for her lovers friends.