We're Okay

Jim was sitting at his desk, smoking a cigarette and thinking. He thought about his family, about how he's cursed, and when it's gonna finally tear them all apart. And honestly, it hurt. He jumped when his door opened. It was Joyce. "Sorry, I should've knocked."

"Is something wrong?" His heart sank.

"What? No, I just got off work early and I was told you're here... so I figured I'd spend time with you."

"Oh. Alright." She went over and gave him a little peck on his lips before giving him a hug. He hugged her back nice and tight. She was there. She hasn't been taken from him.

"Are you okay, Hop?"

"Yeah." But she pulled back and took a hold of his face. She saw his glassy eyes.

"Honey... what's wrong?" She took the seat across from him.

"Nothing's wrong, Joyce." But he couldn't bring himself to look at her. Joyce brought her chair over to his side of the desk. She took ahold of both of his hands in hers.

"You can talk to me. I'm not going to judge you."

Hopper cleared his throat. "Don't worry, Joy."

"Of course I'm going to worry, I love you. So talk to me, and we can work through it together."

"I love you too, and that's the problem."

"Why is that a problem?"

"Because I hurt everyone I love... I never should've taken El in and I never should've gotten with you. Because now you're both doomed to pain. Because of ME. Because I'M selfish." Tears streamed down his face. Before Joyce said anything, she wrapped her arms around him in a big warm hug.

"You gotta get that out of your head, sweetheart. What has happened in the past has been out of your control. I know it's hard. I know it hurts. But we'll get through it. Because we're family. And we aren't doomed to hell. Because we all have each other. You have every right to be with who you want." She looked over at his face and he was no longer crying. She met eyes with him. "Okay?" Hopper nodded instead of saying anything. "You still don't believe me?"

"No."

"Hopper," Joyce sighed.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize."

"I don't deserve you."

"Jim, stop. I love you. If you don't deserve me then I don't deserve you either. I took way too long to agree to go out with you because I was scared. I lost Lonnie. I lost Bob. I didn't want to lose you too. Because I love you too much, Hop. I had a funeral for you. And it completely broke me. Since I didn't see a body I wouldn't let myself think you were actually dead. And look... I got you back. For a reason. Don't push me away."

"I don't want to lose you either." Hopper smiled gently at Joyce, rubbing her right thigh with his right hand. Joyce then leaned forward and locked her lips with his. He kissed her back, slightly opening his own mouth causing Joyce to giggle. He moved to her jawline and down her neck while she laughed when the door opened.

"Hey, chief?... oh"

"Ever heard of knocking?"

"Sorry... these kids just called, some high schoolers got into a street fight. With knives."

"Oh, for cripes sake." Hopper stood up and sighed. "I'll be back, sweetheart." He kissed the top of Joyce's head before he walked out.

"Can't I come with you?" Joyce stood and looked at him. The secretary smiled awkwardly.

"Just stay here, I'll be back."

"Whatever." The brunette rolled her eyes.

"Don't be mad."

"Don't tell me what to do."

"Joyce-"

"You act like I'm some child who can't handle anything."

"All I want is for you to be safe!"

"Chief, we really gotta go." The two were interrupted.

"Bye, Joyce."

"Yeah, bye." Joyce huffed and fell back into his chair, rolling her eyes. Hopper came back less than an hour later. He opened his office door expecting her to be petty so she wasn't there. But instead he was greeted with an instant hug.

"Oh, hey. You okay?" He asked, Joyce nodded against him, sighing.

"I'm sorry for being all difficult with you. I don't like arguing. Especially when it could be the last thing I say to yo-"

"Hey, I'm sorry too. Its alright. We're okay."