Part 2

The family was spread out around the small cabin for sleeping arrangements, el in her old room, and Joyce and Jim in his old bed. Joyce couldn't fall asleep. She would get up, creep and tip toe out and check the windows and doors. But one time when she came back, Hopper was sitting up awake. Shit.
"Baby?" He called to her figure in the doorway.
"Yeah?" She replied.
"What are you doing?" He asked.
"Can't sleep, that's all."
"Come sit with me." He patted the bed beside him. She sat and nuzzled against his side.
"Sorry I woke you up." He rested his face on the top of her head.
"Don't be. You know I got this under control... I have a gun ready just in case. No one's gonna hurt you or our kids."
"Hop?"
"Yes, sweetheart?"
"I'm scared of him."
"I know. And you have every right to be. But I've got you. Always. Til death do is part." He intertwined their fingers together, placing small kisses onto her hair. She trembled. "Nothing that... boy did to you was okay. You're safe now. And so are your sons. I will fight for this family until my dying breath."
"No, you're not dying on me."
"That's not how I meant it. Don't worry."
"It's like he's everywhere. He never goes away. Sometimes I just... remember. When he would get drunk and I'd have to hide the kids so he wouldn't hurt them too. When he'd do whatever he wanted to me regardless of what I wanted." He rubbed her back as she spoke. "We finally got away, and if he hates us so much, why can't he just leave us the hell alone?"
"I don't know, honey... Would it make you feel better if we took turns staying awake?" She nodded. "I'll go first. Try to get some rest, Joy."  His hand rested on her side as she slept against him. Eleven, Will, and Johnathan pulled some pillows and blankets into the small room, put them together, and made a bed type thing on the floor of Hopper's old bedroom. Jim smiled a bit. He had an arm wound around Joyce, who had somehow fallen asleep. Probably because her husband was so warm and his embrace was so comforting it lulled her to sleep. Joyce woke up the next morning and immediately slapped Hopper on the arm, who was still awake.
"You didn't wake me up for my turn."
"I'd say I'm sorry. but I'm not, you needed the rest more than I did." Joyce scoot away.
"Whatever." She got up and maneuvered around the kids. He got up and he followed her. She turned and gave him a weird look.
"Where are you going?" He swallowed.
"The bathroom."
"I just wanted to make sure you weren't leaving because I screwed up, and then Lonnie finds you and I never see you again and our kids lose their mother."
"Hop..." She sighed. "Why don't we get some breakfast? You can get it started and I'll be right back." She leaned up and pecked his cheek before heading to the bathroom. Hopper checked the kids were all still sleeping and in order to keep his eye on them he left open the curtain. He was brewing some coffee when he felt her hand on his back. "I'm sorry that I got upset with you for not waking me up, you were just being sweet. I'm just pretty shaken up and on edge."
"Don't worry about it." He turned and placed a kiss on top of her head since he was taller and her head was at the perfect height for kissing. A bang was heard from the woods around them. Their heads snapped to the bedroom where their children had slept and their hands some time ended up tightly together.
"He found us." Her eyes were wide.
"Hey, it could've just been an animal."