A New Era

Janet's POV

"GIVE ME A BEAT!!"

April 15th, 1986

The second single to my album was released today. It's been a consistent radio request so We decided to let it out. I received so much praise from fans about the album. I didn't think it was gonna reach this much attention. To be honest, all we did was just create the album without intentions. Nothing much planned; however, I did love how I got the chance to write my songs. Especially when I can put my feelings and experiences into a song.

A recent new wave of sound is bursting in the music industry. It sounds so jazzy, and fresh, and gives flavor to new music. I was in the meeting room with promotors of Warners Brothers. Since listening to Full Force's song Alice I Want You For Me a year ago, they think my album is going to be the catapult of this new era that's going on. Their song is still doing well on the charts. Especially this second single because it's pushing up on the charts. This makes me feel so good. I'm so happy that people are loving my work. Never thought this would happen. They also mention the video is making a huge hit as well.

After going over the success, they were presenting what should be the next song to release on the album. However, Prince chimes in on what he thinks should be next.

"I want Funny How Time Flies When You're Having Fun to be her next single," Prince says.

"No, we can't put that single out. We just put out two dance tracks, and now you want the people to go through a slow song?" One of the promoters fussed.

"It gives people something to slow groove to. Also, summer is coming up, so it is a good track for all the couples out there. And I thought we should do a video of this song," I look over at Prince as he says.

"No no," a white guy in a gray suit says. "We want to keep the people dancing more. But we could consider filming another music video."

"I produced and co-wrote this record. I say I want the record to be released," Prince demands.

"Hold on, now we all know that you produced and co-wrote the album, but this is still the say-so from the company."

"Can I consider something?" I spoke up.

Everyone looks at me, "okay Ms. Jackson, do you have any consideration?"

"Yes. I want the next single to be When I Think Of You. And I want to do a music video for it. And put up some remixes so the singles can stay medium on the charts."

"No," Prince disagreed. "Remixes I can agree with, but the next single no."

"Why? Not? I think this song will give me a boost. Plus we can keep the audience dancing with this. Look," I lean in close to Prince, "It could really help my album. Please?"

He looks at me in my eyes and gives in. "Alright. But the next song I want you to film."

I smile, "Okay." I felt ecstatic that he let me agree with my idea for the next track.

We spent the next 30 minutes in the meeting about promotions and brand deals. I was a bit tired by the time it ended. Everyone walked out of the board room at Warners except for Prince and me.

"What time will you be home?"

"Don't know, I was planning to hang out with Paula tonight. Why?"

"I need you to come to Paisley"