Chapter 1 - Coincidence

The pouring rain was making it hard to focus on my new project for Kara's suit upgrade. She can't afford to have another Kryptonite incident because I failed to pay attention to detail. I take a deep breath and walk towards my balcony window. The rain is quite beautiful from my office view. I can see almost all of downtown National City. I need to regroup and come back focused on Monday.

"Jess? Can you push the rest of my meetings today until Monday? I am going to head home for the weekend. And so are you. You deserve an early weekend." I smile while telling her.

"Of course, Ms. Luthor. Is everything okay?"

"Oh, yes. I just need to take a break and come back more focused on Monday to efficiently work." I reply.

"You deserve it, Ms. Luthor, you work too hard." Jess replies as she types away on her computer letting the executives know the meetings will be rescheduled.

"Thank you, Jess. And how many times do I have to remind you to call me Lena?" I smile shutting the office door behind me as I head out.

I open my umbrella as I exit the door to walk to my car.

I hear a loud screech from a white van braking hard right behind the car I was walking to, making me glance up. The door flies open and a small figure is pushed out onto the concrete roughly. Before I could process what was happening, I wasn't able to see any identifiers of the van in order to make a report later on. I quickly walk over to the person on the ground.

"Oh my god, are you alright?" I ask frantically.

A beautiful pair of blue-grey eyes look up into my eyes before retreating back down the the ground. The face of a young girl looking fearful is all I managed to see due to her looking down just as quick. I did also notice a large gash running from her scalp to her eyebrow. Her black hoodie is soaked from the rain. Her cargo pants are tattered and look a bit too small. The same goes for her black pair of Converse.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm here to help you. Can you tell me your name?" I ask softly not to startle her even more.

"Lennox." She says weakly.

Could it be a coincidence? I lost her 6 years ago. She probably wouldn't remember me especially what Lillian was doing to her at CADMUS. No one has seen her since. I brush it off to then say, "That is a beautiful name. I'm Lena. Can you come with me so I can clean up that nasty cut on your head?" I ask helping her stand.

"It's okay, I can take care of it myself. Sorry to bother you, Lena." She responds quickly.

I go to grab her wrist gently, "Sweetheart, please. Let me help you. I don't want it to get infected. I promise I will not hurt you."

She nods slowly and follows me to the car. Once we're settled in, she takes her hood off so I am able to see her clearer. She has dark hair put in two french braids. Her face is slim and gaunt looking. She has a sharp jawline and long neck. She is beautiful. Due to the size of her hoodie, I can't see the rest of her body to gauge how old she might be. My initial guess, off of her young face, would be no older than 14.

"We're heading to my penthouse so we can get you cleaned up, okay? You can have a shower, fresh change of clothes, and a meal. Does that sound okay, Lennox?" I ask facing her.

She doesn't make eye contact when she responds, "It's okay, Lena you don't have to do all that. I don't want to be more of an inconvenience."

My heart breaks. Has no one ever showed this poor girl the basics of human affection? It's not an inconvenience to help a small injury.

"Not at all, Lennox. Don't think you are one because you are not. I want to help you, okay?" I ask trying to get her to look me in the eye, but no such luck.