Fallout

We stopped at a roadside diner and slid into a booth. I could feel Dean's eyes on me but couldn't look at him.

I just slept with Dean Winchester, I thought. And it was good, another voice chimed in. I ignored it.

"You gonna look at me?" Dean asked.

I did and regretted it. I melted under his gaze.

"Dean..."

He took my hands, "Ali."

I closed my eyes feeling the warmth of his hands, the love. My eyes sprang open. Sometimes being empathic sucked.

"It was a mistake," I said quietly.

"What was?" he asked.

"Us. This," I said indicating our hands.

"Hey kids what'll you have?" the waitress asked.

We ordered. "You two are so in love, I can tell," she said walking away.

Was I in love with Dean? No. I loved him but I was in love with Ric, wasn't I?

We ate in relative silence, talking once in a while about their case in New York or the problems with Klaus.

On the way back to the hotel to get my ring, Dean spoke up. "Ali, I know you're upset about what happened but I'm not."

I gaped at him. Was he serious?

"Don't look at me like that," he said gruffly. "Maybe you didn't know that I had feelings for you but now you do. The ball is in your court."

I had to take a minute to process.

"Ali?"

"I'm thinking."

"Don't hurt yourself."

"Shut it."

And there is was our familiar banter. My heart melted. But I knew I couldn't be with him.

"I'm engaged Dean. I love you but I'm in love with Ric."

Dean's jaw ticked. "Fine. Let's just keep it professional between us."

"Or go back to being buddies?" I asked.

"No. I'm sorry but we cant."

Dean pulled into a spot at the motel and hopped out. He was inside and retrieved my ring, all the while I waited in the Impala.

"Here," he said tossing it to me and getting back behind the wheel.

"Dean," I tried again.

"Your fiancé awaits."

We were silent for the rest of the ride.

Dean dropped me off in front of Ric's building. When I got inside there was a note on the table saying he was at the Salvatore's.

I took the opportunity to cry. I broke down and sobbed for a half an hour. When I was done, I splashed water on my face and decided to walk to the Salvatore's.

On the way there, in the town square, I literally ran into none other than Klaus. He didn't remember meeting me.

"Pardon me," he said in an English accent.

"My fault," I said and continued on my way. If only I'd had a dagger he would have been very easy to stab. I kept walking to the Salvatore's. When I got there I noticed a few extra cars. When I reached the door it swung open by Stefan.

"Hey Ali," he said brightly. "Congratulations."

Caroline and Elena were on be in a second, checking out my ring.