Prologue

I was packing everything I owned. How can it happen to me? One bad thing after another. This past month has been the worst I ever been through.

"Cassie." I heard my older brother say. I looked to see him standing in the doorway. I didn't say a word to him. I just went back to packing. "Cassie" he tried again.

"What?" I answered. I heard him move from the door closer to me. I turned my back and went to another box. I looked inside to see that it was full so I closed it and grabbed the tap, securing the box.

"You can't avoid me forever." He said. He was right, I can't.

"I can try." I said. I went to the next box to close it.

"Cassandra Rayne Belt." He said, making me stop in my tracks. He never uses my full name unless he is angry with me. I turned to face him. "I know you don't like this, but you-" I cut him off.

"I am being made to leave the only home I know to go live with you." I said. "It isn't fair."

"We just lost our parents Cas." he said.

"We lost one of them a month ago." I pointed out. "Dad has been gone since I was four and mom passed after suffering for months, but you are never around to know that."

"I have a job." he said.

"And what exactly is this 'job'?" I asked. He sighed.

"I am a guitarist." Dustin said. "I was on tour when I got the call about mom. I left the tour to come here and I have been here since then."

"Well, no one asks you to do that." I said. And that was true. I never asked him to come. "I can handle things on my own. I am 17."

"Cas." he said.

"Dustin." I said back. He looked at me before walking out of my room. I stood there for a moment before going back to packing.

xx

What do you all think?