01 - Platonic vs Romantic

Hawkins, Indiana 1986

Will's POV

"Yeah, apparently it's called the Hellfire Club and it's run by this senior named Eddie Munson. A bunch of people meet everyday after school and play D&D!" Dustin says, Mike and I at the edge of our seats in the cafeteria.

We are one month into our freshman year at Hawkins High and Lucas has already abandoned us and joined the varsity basketball team. He stopped playing D and D with us and he barely even waves to us in the hallway anymore. I mean we are all really happy for him, but it's hard not having the original party. Max and El have been more inseparable than ever, so it's just us three. I mean, Mike and El are still together, but they haven't hung out in a while.

"That sounds perfect! Can anybody join?" I ask eagerly.

"I think so. We can go check after school if you guys want?" Dustin asks.

"Definitely." Mike and I say in sync.

When school is finally over, Dustin leads Mike and I down the English hallway and to a door with a sign that reads Hellfire Club Meeting In Progress in incredibly messy handwriting. When we walk in, there is a large table covered with a dungeons and dragons board and people surrounding it. There a few guys that look about our age and an older guy sitting at the head of the table.

"Well, well, well, looks like we have some new members." the older guy says, walking over to us. He's tall and has big fluffy, curly hair that looks slightly unbrushed.

"Yeah I-I'm Will." I say, stuttering in the process.

"And I'm Mike and this is Dustin. We have been playing D and D for a super long time and wanted to see if we could join?" Mike says confidently, not stuttering or hesitating once.

"Hmmm, let's see if you guys know what your doing. Join this round and try to keep up. I'm Eddie by the way." he says, sitting back down. I stand between Dustin and Mike and I feel me and Mikes hand brush against each other softly which makes me really nervous.

Playing D and D was the most fun I've had in a really long time. The other guys are super competitive which I love, especially since I have gotten better last summer when nobody would play with me. I studied the game almost all summer and learned new techniques. We play for hours on end and don't even finish the game within that time.

"I've got to say, you guys are good. Welcome to the Hellfire Club." Eddie says, reaching out to shake each of our hands.

~~~~~~~~~

"That was insane!" Mike says, sitting on the couch in his basement.

"That was so fun." I say, sitting down next to him. Dustin had to get picked up by his mom after the club, but Mike invited me over for dinner.

"You've gotten really good. When did you have so much time to practice?" Mike asks.

"Last summer when nobody would play with me." I say, hesitating slightly and wondering if that sounded rude.

"Oh. I just wanna say that I'm sorry for everything. I was a really shitty friend to you for a while and you didn't deserve it. I'm really sorry that it took me this long to say something, but really, I'm sorry." Mike says, turning and facing me.

"Don't worry about it." I reassure him.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry, Will. I've missed this." Mike says.

"Missed what?" I ask, turning and facing him.

"This. You and me sitting in my basement and talking. Just like old times." Mike says, his eyes not breaking our gaze. I feel my hands start to shake a little.

"I've missed it too. A lot. It's just, sometimes I feel like I'm still going a little crazy. I don't think that feeling will ever go away as long as I stay in Hawkins." I tell him honestly. Just as I am thinking back to the first time we had this conversation, he places his hand on top of mine and squeezes it softly just like he did years before. I feel my breathe hitch in my throat and my face turn red, so I face forward and try to hide the fact that I am blushing.

"Well, how about we keep going crazy together." Mike says, giving my hand a little squeeze. It's almost like I can feel the space between us closing until we hear the basement door open and we jump away from each other.

"Boys! Dinner!" Mrs.Wheeler yells down the stairs. We both let out a little awkward laugh before running up the stairs and sitting down at the dinner table like nothing happened.

I mean I guess nothing really happened.

It's just that, I guess I have always felt something for Mike. I could never figure out if they were romantic or platonic, but lately it has started to feel more romantic.

He is my closest friend in the whole world and plus, what I'm going through is probably just a phase or something like that. Plus, he's dating El anyway. I wouldn't wanna get in the middle of their relationship and I definitely don't want to ruin Mike and I's relationship.

The entire dinner is filled with Mike and I catching each other's stares and turning away quickly. Maybe I do like him.