10|Enigma

Rebecca Campbell had flown from Paris to Dubai 2 hours ago and had dropped off at Aarons house to discuss their impending engagement.

"When and where do you want the engagement to be Aaron?"

"I want it next month and in Dubai." Aaron had said after much contemplation.

"Alright. I'll let our parents know about it."

"I want to legally adopt Natheline before our engagement."

"I need more time to think about it Aaron."

"What more do you have to think about? We are going to get married pretty soon. I'm also her Godfather."

"I know Aaron, but I don't really understand your reasons for adopting Natheline. I know I sound like a shit friend but I don't want my child to be a part of some scheme. I know what you did to Anabia and I also know your reasons for it Aaron, which I neither understand thoroughly nor like, but since it was your life I didn't say anything. However, this one is my child Aaron and I love her to bits, and as a mother I can't see my child getting hurt in any way possible. As a ruthless businesswoman myself, I know how cruel we can be when it comes to achieving our goals and striking deals, I am no saint in the corporate sector and neither are you. The reason we are best friends or as akin to what could be called best friends is because we are extremely similar, we don't trust anybody neither our shadows. We don't have a moral compass, what we want we get at any cost, we don't care who gets hurt in the process nor do we care about our ego, when the need arises we lick boots of those we abhor. We truly are chameleons or a walking contradiction. I don't know how much you've loved Anabia Aaron, but if you could do all that you did to her, I shudder to think what you'll do to me and my child. Though, I'll wreak havoc in your life, if you so much so as thought of playing me or my child but man I'm sorry I can't risk losing my child."

"I understand your concerns Becca. As much as I hate to admit it, even I as a father would have similar concerns. I am an asshole and there is no denying it, but even you know I'll not harm Natheline. I find you and your ruthlessness admirable, for I see myself in you. It's crazy how we are so alike and maybe that is the reason why I told you what I did to Bia and what you can expect in our marriage. If you decide to not share Natheline with me, it's alright, I'll respect your decisions."

"Always the smooth talking asshole aren't you?" Rebecca said to which Aaron chuckled.

"Do you have something in mind pertaining to the engagement that you would want the event planner to know?" Aaron asked.

"No, nothing specific. I know since you are planning it, the event is gonna be grand and will be more of a networking opportunity and that's exactly how I'd like it to be. Is it bad that I'm more happy about the delegations I might get eventually than the engagement itself?"

"Shit, I hate how alike we are," Aaron smiled at Becca for he wondered how  crazy it was that they mostly thought along the same lines. The woman infront of him was truly a work of art but what in all these years he had failed to understand was how he couldn't love her the same way he had loved Bia. With Becca, there was this indescribable ease of being himself without the fear of judgement because they were so alike. Aaron didn't feel ashamed being the cunning and conniving self of his in front of Rebecca as he did infront of Bia. He had known Rebecca since their childhood days and in all these years he had always admired her deviousness, she was beauty with brains, someone who would give him a run for his money, someone whose company he would enjoy and look forward to and someone who he could come out clean towards. Maybe that was the reason Rebecca was privvy to even the sins of Aaron that involved Bia, she was someone who he could talk his reasons to, someone who he could think of marrying.