23|Hospital

Bia had immediately rushed to the Surgical Intensive Care Unit of the hospital upon getting the phone call.

"Hello Ms. Zehravi, I am the police officer who called you. We just want to confirm if the patient is your fiance?" The police officer informed her as he took her inside the SICU.

"Ye..Yes it is him only," she said trying to prevent her voice from shaking at the sight of him.

"May I know what happened... to him or where.. did you find.. him?"

"Well it looks like he got hit with a baseball bat or sledgehammer for there is a large bruise on his chest wall and multiple bruises on his face and a couple broken ribs along with a head injury but we aren't really sure about it, the doctor may be better able to explain what happened to him. Since he was unconscious when we found him and in quite a battered state without his belongings and identity card, it could be a case of assault or theft but it is too soon to say that. Only once he wakes up will we be able to know for sure what happened to him."

"Hmmm."

"I will leave you with him. Once he comes to his senses we will come for the statement. As of right now we shall take our leave. Take care."

"Thank you officer." She uttered robotically before she turned around and stood besides Rahim who lied motionless attached to the mechanical ventilator, with a bandage covering his head, and a large bruise over his chest peeking through the hospital clothes.

She couldn't describe how she felt in that moment seeing him lie on the hospital bed bruised, pale and lifeless. Shocked. Scared. Worried. Helpless. It felt like deja vu seeing him lie like that in the ICU. She couldn't help but be transported back to the time when she had looked at his brother Daniyal looking battered in the ICU after he and her brother had gotten involved in the car accident. So many thoughts ran through her head as she looked at Rahim who acutely resembled Daniyal and in that moment, she couldn't prevent the dread and panic filling her up at the thought of losing him just like she had lost Daniyal and Yilmaz.

"Hello I am Dr. Sarah, a 4th year medical resident here, may I know your relationship with the patient?" The doctor interrupted her from the whirlpool of thoughts that could have her spiraling down any moment and she couldn't be more grateful to her.

"I am his fiance," she replied back after a pause as she collected her thoughts.

"Will he..be..fine doctor?" She asked dreadfully.

"He needs to be placed under strict observation because of the injury that he has sustained on his chest. We aren't really sure what it is that led to it, but because the epicenter of the impact is close to his heart and the great vessels we need to be careful in evaluating for any subsequent internal bleed or myocardial contusion. Since his 2nd and 3rd ribs have been fractured in multiple places due to the impact, he had to undergo rib plating and be placed on the mechanical ventilator because of his frail chest. However, we presume that the other bruises and injuries are from them socking him in the face and the back of his head with the butt of a gun but there isn't any significant brain injury as a result of it, so that is reassuring. But for now, it will be too soon to say anything, if there aren't any complications and no subsequent internal bleeding, hopefully he will recover well. Are there any more questions you wish to ask?"

"No. But can I stay with him here?"

"I am sorry but you can stay here for a while, however we will have to ask you to stay outside the ICU in that room that is for the patient's attendants."

"Hmm. I understand. Thank you!"

"No problem. We are all here for the patient and for you as well. If there is any query feel free to ask us." Doctor Sarah replied warmly.