Chapter 5

5 : The Old Flame

They reached DC in the evening and Steve had to wake the woman that sat behind him. She had held him tight from behind and had rested her head on his back the whole way.

“Wake up!” He called loudly and shook her arm. “We arrived at DC.”

Steve heard a soft yawn from his back and the spy slowly put her arms away from his waist.

“Where are we?”

“Hotel. We are gonna stay here.”

“Don’t worry about it. I have an apartment just a couple blocks away.”

“Yeah, you can sleep there. I will stay here.”

“Which part of pain do you not understand, Rogers? We cannot be away from one another.”

“Then why do I barely feel a thing except for that I don’t want to be anywhere near you.” He shot back.

“I don’t know. I can’t fucking explain it either. It just happened. Look, I don’t want to be anywhere near you either.”

Steve sighed, “Fine, lead the way.”

They arrived at her apartment five minutes later. She opened the door to her beautiful and organized duplex apartment.

“There’s a spare room upstairs to your left or you can sleep in the same room with me if you want.” She couldn’t resist the urge to tease him.

Steve rolled his eyes and headed upstairs to settle himself in. He went down to the kitchen to find Natasha making them dinner.

“Hope you don’t mind. I cooked us something.”

“Yeah, it’s okay. Just don’t put poison in it though.”

Steve sat down and watched as Natasha was cooking something simple for both of them. Mac and Cheese to be precise. It did smelled good though. He never thought that a woman like her could cook.

Natasha sat a plate down in front of him before she sat on the counter because she knew he didn’t like her to be too close to him.

“What you gonna do tomorrow?” She asked to help ease the silent tension between them.

“Visit my old friends’ grave at Arlington.” He replied

“Then?”

“Maybe visiting Peggy but I don’t know where she is.”

He looked like a lost puppy when he said those words and Nat couldn’t help but grin. This was the first time Steve let his guard down around her. She couldn’t pin down that he finally opened up to her or not but at least he talked to her.

“Maybe I can hack into SHIELD.” She suggested.

“Are you crazy? Ain’t you gonna get fired?”

“Nah, Fury wouldn’t dare fire me because he knows how lethal I am. To be fair, it was just a harmless hack. Just to find some information about the retired agent of SHIELD because Captain America wants to see her.”

Steve narrows his eyes at her mocking, “If you’re comfortable with doing it, I’m fine with that.”

Nat put her plate down and opened her laptop. Steve moved to stand behind her as she did her trick.

“Are you sure you’re not gonna trigger the alarm?”

“The man who developed this security/technology is slightly smarter than me.” She replied with a smirk on her face “Slightly.” She typed in quickly and disabled the security before gaining access to the archive, “Besides, cap. I’m the Black Widow.”