Chapter 16

16 : The Three Little Word

Natasha helped Steve take a bath and put him to bed. Because of the wound, he couldn't lift his arms so he slept shirtless. Natasha kept a close eye on him and made sure that he would have a comfortable sleep but she couldn't bring herself to sleep that night. The image of Steve jumping in the way and taking the bullet for her kept replaying in her head.

She didn't want to imagine a life without him. She couldn't take it and she knew for sure that she would follow him. Without her soul mate, there was no reason to live.

Now that Steve was sleeping soundly beside her, Natasha found herself gripping tight her gun tightly as if something or someone would attack them. She had to protect him so she armed herself with it. She was paranoid and she couldn't control the thought that something might hurt him again. The pain they shared was another reason. They both felt it which led to the conclusion that they both have to be more careful next time.

She should have told him. She should have told him the moment Fury gave her that mission. With they were both connected like this, compartmentalization didn't go well with them. She will have to talk to Fury about this. She couldn't risk her soul mate getting injure again.

It was almost 1 AM. Natasha was staring out the window to the million night lights outside and suddenly she felt warm arms snake around her waist, pulling her closer to his large frame behind her. His face nestled at the crook of her shoulder.

"Tasha..." She heard him mumble in his sleep and it made her smile.

His warm embrace was soothing and Natasha could finally close her eyes and let go of her gun before slowly drifting into her a slumber of her own.

___________________

Natasha woke up because there was a text message from Agent Hill. It said that Fury wanted the couple at the Triskelion this afternoon. The spy replied saying she would be there but Steve was injured so he may or may not be there. She tossed her phone away before she realized something.

Where the hell was her soul mate?

Natasha slowly got up from their bed and followed the smell of bacon and sausages from the kitchen. What the hell is he even doing in the kitchen? He is injured! Natasha was rather quite furious now. Steve wasn't supposed to be walking around let alone cooking.

What she found in the kitchen was her soul mate moving around the kitchen fluidly, humming a song that she had been frequently singing lately. He was very good at multitasking and she liked to watch him so she just leaned against the door frame in silence.

He wore a white tank top and sweatpants. His biceps moved and bulged every time he flipped the eggs or when he buttered the bread or when he poured them a cup of coffee each.

Finally, he finished his tasks and looked up to see his soul mate looking at him. He gave her a bright smile and went to her to give a loving morning kiss. At first, it was just their lips moving together but as Natasha slipped her tongue into his mouth, Steve pulled her close and lifted her up from her feet before kissing her deeply.

"Steve…" She moaned and pulled away, "The breakfast"

"Of course"

He carried her to her stool before sat down next to her.

"You shouldn't be moving around, Steve. Your wound could open again."

"It's almost healed. You don't have to worry. I have a magical serum in my veins." He reassured her with a small smile, "You should eat before it gets cold."