Chapter 9

9: The Haunted Memories

Last night Natasha noticed that something had changed about Steve Rogers. It looked like he was trying really hard to change and treat her better than before.

Steve cooked her a very nice dinner and he tried to actually talk to her, ask her a questions and really get to know her. It was the first time that he gave her a smile, even if it was a fake, a forced smile.

He stayed in to watch a rom-com movie with her. He actually laughed and smiled but she fell asleep in the middle of the movie and he made sure that she was in a deep sleep before carrying her into her room.

Well, she wasn't actually a deep sleeper. She still had some conscious left. It was her thing, she had been doing this for too long, it was her job. She always kept one eye open. Steve gently laid her on her bed and pulled the blanket over her. She reached her hand out to grab his hand.

"Steve…my gun…"

Steve handed her a gun and Natasha put it under her pillow but didn't let go off it. He took notice of it but didn't say anything.

"Goodnight, Natasha." He said before walking out of her room.

___________________

Natasha woke up from her deep sleep that she noted to herself she should get rid of this habit. It was the habit that someone in her line of work shouldn't acquire. But it was a very nice habit and she'd never had this much rest in a long time.

She thought she knew the reason to this. Steve Rogers, her soulmate must be the one who caused this to happen. As if her mind knew he was close to her and she could relax near him. Nothing will harm her with his presence and safety he will provide to her.

Nat got up and found Steve in the kitchen cooking their breakfast and judging by the smell of it, it must be really delicious.

"Hey" She sleepily said

"Morning." He replied "What are you making?"

"French toast, poached eggs, well, typical breakfast normal people eat." He replied and gave her a small smile, "If you, uhh, eat that kind of thing."

"I'm not a normal person but I do eat normal things."

"Here you go" He put the plate in front of her

"Thank you"

She grabbed the plate and walked to the couch. She settled herself down pretty comfortably and turned on the television. The broadcasting news took their attention.

'We are having a bank robbery in Brooklyn right now by a group of super villains calling themselves, the Serpent Society." The broadcaster said, "Looks like the Hulk is here with Thor!"

Steve grabbed his own plate and sat down next to her.

"Why did they not call us?" Steve asked

"Well, our condition isn't exactly ready to fight." She replied, "Until we figure this out. We are grounded, off missions, off work, off the team."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's Fury's order to keep us safe." She changed the channel to something else.

Steve could clearly see how much she wants to get back in the field and actually do something.

"Why do you want to get back there so bad? Am I boring or something? Did I drive you away?"

"No! Steve, no. It's not that. I just miss the action sometimes."

He just nodded and got back to his breakfast. Natasha casually put her feet on the coffee table which earned her a glare from Steve.

"Feet off the table." He half growled at her.