Chapter 6

6: The Shackle

This wasn't a good day for Natasha at all. She ended up sitting alone in her car all day at the parking lot of the retirement home. She had to be here because her 'soulmate' wanted to see 'the love of his life'.

She hated this. She fucking hated all of this. Why was she the only one who had to feel all the pain he caused to her? Why wasn't he feeling as much pain as she did? This is unfair.

Well, the world wasn't a place for justice and fairness anyway. Maybe this was what she deserved considering her old life. Maybe this was how god wanted her to learn the pain she had caused to someone.

Yeah, you deserve it, Romanoff, Nat bitterly thought to herself. She must have taken someone else's soulmate's life too and the pain and grieve she caused to them must have been too much. Yep, karma bit her back in the ass.

Maybe she doesn't deserve someone like Captain America, the man who sacrificed everything to save thousands of lives, not taking it like she does.

But she got to say this was the first time she could sense Steve being happy after he was out of the ice, like truly happy. The man who supposed to be her soulmate was happy by being with another woman.

Why did he love that woman so much? Nat could understand that they had a connection and shared life experience but god from high above said otherwise, god gave her the man who doesn't love her at all.

Steve came out again when the sun almost set, looking as happy as he could be.

"How was it?"

"Good." That's all he replied.

"You don't mind if we go out for a good dinner tonight, right?" Nat asked "There is a very good Italian restaurant on our way home."

"Whatever you say."

Their conversation was short as always. Nat could feel the sense of honesty in his answer every time. He didn't bother to lie to her. That's what hit her the most. He hated her enough to the point that he didn't even care to lie to make her feel better.

They were at said restaurant in five minutes and Nat led both of them in.

"Table for two please" Nat said to the host.

"A lovely couple should have the best table in the house." The host said in his Italian accent.

"We are…." Steve was about to protest but Nat quickly elbowed him and said, "Yes, we are. It's our anniversary."

The host congratulated them before he led them to the table, lit up the candle and gave them the menu.

"Why did you tell him that?" Steve asked with gritted teeth.

"It would end the conversation faster." She replied "Besides, this is our second week anniversary."

Steve scoffed, "Go ahead and celebrate it by yourself."

He rejected her again. Nat started to get used to it. They looked at the menu in silence until the waiter came by to take their order. Natasha ordered her favorite meat lasagna, salad, and spaghetti while Steve ordered soup, risotto, and pizza.

"We can talk, you know?" Nat spoke up "So we can at least understand each other."

He sighed annoyingly, "Fine"

"Why is she so important that you don't want to let go?"

"Because she is the only person I love." From the look in his eyes, Nat knew he was speaking the truth and it hurt her again, "She's the only thing that is related to me in this new era. I will hang on to her."