Chapter 22

22 : The Trap

At the Triskelion, where the Helicarriers were being held, everyone in the building was buzzing around because today was the big. It was the day SHIELD would launch the Insight Helicarriers.

The command center was setting up the launch sequence. All personnel were heading to their launch stations. Pierce met the World Security Council as they arrived at the Triskelion.

"And how was your flight?" Pierce asked.

"Lovely. The ride from the airport less so." Councilwoman Hawley replied.

"Sadly, SHIELD can't control everything."

"Including Captain America." Councilman Rockwell chipped in.

Pierce walked over to one of the guards who handed him a case containing four pins.

"This facility is biometrically controlled, and these will give you unrestricted access."

The council members each take a pin to wear before they headed to the council chamber to witness the launch sequence.

"I know the road hasn't exactly been smooth, and some of you would have gladly kicked me out of the car along the way. Finally we're here, and the world should be grateful."

As they start drinking to Pierce's toast suddenly they hear Captain America over the SHIELD microphone that everyone in the building can hear.

"Attention, all SHIELD agents…"

___________________

At the Project Insight headquarters. The technicians were working on the system of the project but then they hear a sharp noise through their earpiece.

"Ow! Must be the dish."

"I'll check it out."

He goes and opens the door he's faced with Steve, Sam and Hill on the other side of the door, Sam and Hill point their guns at him

"Excuse us."

The tech holds his hands up and steps aside to let them enter. Maria was setting up everything for Steve while Sam held his gun at the agents and forced them into the corner.

"Status update." Steve said to his comm.

"Romanoff is in position." Tony said, "Ironman and Hulk are in the position too."

"Hawkeye and Thor are in the position also."

"The system is ours." Maria said.

Steve headed to the microphone, "Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot the Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Steve finished his speech and everyone felt the bravery and patriotism surge through them.

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?"

___________________

Rumlow and his men broke into the control room, where Agent 13 also was. Rumlow walked over to one of the techs and commanded him to send the ships up.