Chapter 3 : Possible vacation?

Chapter 3

Later...    

Riker POV

So I know that Rydel likes playing piano, Rocky likes sports, Ross likes airplanes, Ryland likes video games, and Stormie likes cooking. I tried to think of something interesting about myself but all I could come up with to tell them was that I like playing hockey with my dad.

After we ate dinner, Stormie suggested we all go out for ice cream. And she said we could all go together in her van. So I had to sit in the back, squished between Rydel and Rocky, which felt awkward to me.

We went home after that, but the whole thing stressed me out.

I got ready for bed, and then got under the covers. I was about to lay down and turn off my light when my dad came in.

"What did you think of Stormie and all of them?" He asked.

"Um... I don't know. Why?"

Dad sat down on the end of my bed.

"I'm not saying that this is going to happen. But I just want you to consider the idea of seeing Stormie and her kids more often."

"Why?"

"Because we've been dating for a month and we really like each other. And if tonight went well, we were considering going on vacation together."

"Wait. Slow down. Vacation? When?"

"We haven't planned it out yet. We just wanted to see if tonight went well first."

"Did it?"

"I think it did. That's why I wanted to ask you what you thought."

"Um... It was ok, I guess."

"Ok. Tell me why."

"I don't know. I just felt kind of weird being there. Like it was awkward."

"Why? Did you not get along with Stormie's kids?"

"No, I guess it was just kind of weird because we didn't know each other. Like remember when we moved into a smaller house after mom left? I had to go to a new school where I didn't know anybody, and I guess it felt kind of like that. Like when you go to a new school, everybody there already has friends and friend groups. And I'm like the outsider. They're all siblings, so it felt like I was an outsider coming into their house."

"Well did they seem to like you?"

"I don't know. I guess maybe Rydel did. She showed me around and talked to me the most. Her brothers just kind of seemed more focused on video games than me."

"They're young. Don't take it personally. So what did you think of all of them?"

"Well... I guess I kind of like Rydel. She was nice and she's the oldest, so we kind of connected the most out of everyone. I guess her brothers are ok, but I didn't really get to know them."

"Ok, that's fair. What did you think of Stormie?"

"She was nice."

"How would you feel if we decided to go on a vacation together?"

"Like just you and her, or like all of the kids too?"

"Everyone."

"Where would we go?"

"We haven't planned that yet. We were thinking of asking all the kids to pick a place, write the places on a piece of paper, and pick one out of a hat."

"Oh..."

"So would that be ok? Would you be interested?"

"I guess so... But if we do that, do I have to spend like every second of every day with Stormie's kids?"

"No, of course not. You might have to share a bedroom with them though."

"I guess that's ok..."

"Alright. Great. I'll let Stormie know your thoughts."

"I have a question."

"What?"

"What about mom, though?"

"Riker, I told you, she left us. She doesn't want anything to do with us anymore."

"But how do you know for sure? Have you asked her?"

"No. She doesn't want to talk to us, Riker."

"But if you haven't asked her, then how do you know?"

"Riker... You just need to take my word for it that she doesn't want anything to do with us anymore, ok?"

"Ok..."

"Alright, goodnight Riker."

"Goodnight dad."

He turned off my light and then left.

I'm really not crazy about the idea of going on vacation with all of them. But I guess it's not up to me.

I need to look for mom's phone number. I still haven't been able to find it. But as soon as I do, I'm going to call her and ask her if what dad said was true and if she wants to come back.

A/N : If anyone has any ideas for this book, let me know...