Chapter 6 : The story of Riker's mom

Chapter 6

Later...

Riker POV

We ended up going back to our hotel after the hike. We all took showers since we were hot and sweaty and then we went out to a restaurant for dinner. But dad and Stormie got a separate table and all of us kids had to sit together at a separate table. I wasn't happy about it.

"Do you think mom and Mark will actually get married?" Ross asked.

"I don't know. They seem like they're in love. What do you think, Riker?" Rydel asked.

"Um... I'm not sure," I said.

"Do you want them to get married?" Rocky asked.

"I think it would be nice if they got married. It would be nice for mom to have another husband to take care of some things. I know she really misses dad," Rydel said.

"Riker, what do you think? Do you want them to get married?" Ross asked.

"Um... Well... I mean, I don't know. To be honest, I kind of want him to get married again to my mom," I said.

"Why did they get divorced?" Ryland asked.

"I don't know. My dad won't really tell me. He just says she doesn't want to be part of our family anymore," I said, staring down at my chicken nuggets.

"Would you be open to him marrying our mom?" Rydel asked.

"I mean... I don't know... I want him back with my mom," I said.

"I understand. But if your mom doesn't want to get back together with him, and he was in love with our mom, would you be ok with it?" Rydel asked.

"I guess..." I mumbled.

"I know it's hard. But you should really take into consideration what your dad wants," Rydel said.

"What about what I want?" I asked.

"What you want matters too. But if your dad wants to remarry, you should let him," Rydel said.

I sighed. I understand what she's saying, but I don't want that to happen.

"Tell me why you don't want him to remarry," Rydel said.

"Because I'd rather him marry my actual mom," I said.

"Ok. But what if she doesn't want to remarry him? What if that's not an option?"

"I guess I'd rather him just stay single. I like being an only child. I like it being just me and him."

"I get that... But maybe you could just try things out with us and our mom. I know you like being an only child and stuff, but maybe you could learn to like us and our mom too. I mean, don't you think you should try, just to make your dad happy? You wouldn't want him to have to live his whole life alone if he doesn't want to, do you?"

"I guess not..." I mumbled.

I didn't feel hungry anymore. This whole thing is upsetting me. Why couldn't me and dad just keep living our lives? Why does Stormie and her kids have to invade our family? I don't like it.

Later...

Riker POV

When we got back to our hotel room, I was really tired because we hung out with Stormie and her kids literally all day.

"I know our vacation isn't over with, but could we please talk about mom for just a few minutes?" I asked.

"Riker..."

"Please? I just want to know why you're so against the idea of seeing her again or talking to her or even letting me talk to her."

Dad sighed.

"I didn't want to tell you this, but since you won't stop with this idea, I'm going to have to tell you."

"Ok, so tell me. I've been wanting to know for years."

"Your mom... She's not a good mom."

"How?"

"Riker, she was an alcoholic. And she probably still is."

"That's not so bad."

"Yes, it is. It was. Riker, I can remember times when I would come home from work, and I'd find your mother passed out drunk on the couch. I'd wake her up and she wouldn't be able to remember if she fed you dinner or not. She would literally just leave you in your crib or playpen for hours while she was passed out drunk on the couch. I would come home to you crying, and your mom wouldn't even wake up. I don't know how long you were crying for, but it could've been hours. You know, since I have a job, when I get home, the last thing I wanted to do was take care of a baby. I wanted to just sit down and relax after a hard day of work. But I couldn't. I had to feed you, change your diaper, give you a bath, and get you ready for bed because your mother was drunk. Taking care of you was her job because she stayed home. She was supposed to be the mom and take care of you while I made the money. But I got stuck having to do both."

"Ok, but can't people get better from being an alcoholic? Isn't there like a club they go to?"

"Alcoholics Anonymous. Yes, I tried many times to help her. We had many arguments about it. And she would always promise she would get sober and get help. So I kept giving her second chances. But she never got better. And when it got close to the time you'd be going to kindergarten, that's when we got a divorce, because I was afraid she was going to be too drunk to get you on and off the bus and I didn't want her alcoholism to affect your education. So we got a divorce. And she moved to Florida. We talked for a few months after that, but now that she was single again, she was spending her nights at bars and clubs, still getting drunk. I don't think she's changed."

"Ok... I didn't know all of that..."

"I didn't want you to know. I wanted you to have positive thoughts about her because she's your mother. But you kept asking about her. And if you're still determined to talk to her or visit her, I thought you needed to know what you're getting into."

"Ok... I'm going to think about everything you told me."

"We can revisit this topic after our vacation is over, ok?"

"Ok."