Chapter 13 : Dinner date with Stormie

Chapter 13

The next day...   

Riker POV

"Riker, wake up. Breakfast."

I opened my eyes and saw Rydel.

"I heard you had a nightmare last night. Are you ok?" She asked, sitting down on the edge of my bed.

"Yeah, I'm ok now. I just haven't really been away from my dad very much before, and I think maybe that's why it happened."

"Aw... I'm sorry. He'll be back in a few days."

"I know. Your mom has been really nice to me. I feel like she's treating me as if I'm her own kid."

"Well she likes you. And she loves your dad. So of course she is."

"And you've been really nice to me too."

"Riker, we might become siblings. Of course I would be nice to you."

"But why do you care? I mean, you already have 3 other brothers."

"It doesn't matter. If your dad marries my mom, then that means we get to have a dad again. And a new sibling. Speaking of that, I got one of her rings last night. Here," she said, handing it to me.

"Thanks."

I put it in my suitcase.

"This is so exciting!" She said.

"I know. But you need to keep it a secret."

"I will. I promise. But if your dad needs help setting anything up, just let me know."

"I will. Thanks, Rydel."

I hugged her tight.

"Now come on. Let's go get some breakfast," Rydel said.

Later...

Riker POV

Stormie took me out for dinner. Just me. None of her kids came with us.

"Order whatever you want, Riker," Stormie said.

"Can I just ask why you took me out for dinner? Like me, and nobody else?"

"Well... You had a nightmare last night. And you mentioned maybe it was because you're away from your dad. I just thought maybe if we got to know each other a little better, maybe you'd feel a little better."

"Oh..."

"And I don't know very much about you, so I thought now might be the perfect time to get to know you."

"Sure. Yeah. Ask me anything."

We ordered our food and drinks. I was a tiny bit nervous to be here with Stormie, but it's just nerves. I mean, I don't want to say anything wrong in case my dad really does marry her.

"So what do you like to do, Riker? What are your hobbies?"

"I like to play ice hockey. With my dad. That's probably my favorite."

"So you spend a lot of time with him?"

"Definitely. We're very close."

"That's good."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"You and my dad seem like you really like each other... And you already have 4 kids..."

"Riker, what are you asking?"

"I don't know. I guess I was just worried that you already have 4 kids, so would one more be too much?"

"Of course not, Riker. I feel like you fit right in with my kids. You and Rydel seem really close already."

"We are..."

"Riker, I don't want you to worry about this. Just because I already have 4 kids doesn't mean there's not room for you too."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive. I had time to take you out to dinner, didn't I?"

"Yeah... I guess I just thought... Well you spend a lot of time with my dad now, and you already have 4 kids to take care of, so I guess I just didn't know if there was time for me too."

"There will always be time for you, Riker."

I smiled.

"Thank you," I said, meeting her eyes.

"Riker, I don't know what the future holds, but if one day our families become one family, I don't want you to think that you won't be as important as my kids just because I'm not your mom. I know it can be hard, feeling like maybe you don't belong just because you're not related or you're not my kid. As long as I'm dating your dad, you're just as important as everyone else, ok?"

"Can I just ask you something?"

"What is it?"

"Why do you care about me so much? I'm not your kid. Even in Florida. You didn't have to come get me and spend an hour picking glass out of me. You were there for Ross and his audition or whatever it was."

"Riker, it doesn't matter if you're not my kid. You're Mark's son. And if you need help, I'll always be there for you, ok?"

"Ok. Thank you."

"Of course, honey."