Chapter 1 : Dating

A/N : I'm making Riker be around age 12 in this story.

Chapter 1

Riker POV

"What are we doing this weekend? Can we go to the movies like we usually do? I think there's some new ones," I said, sitting down on the couch next to dad.

"Actually, I had a different idea," dad said.

"Ok, what is it?"

"Well... Do you remember how you used to have a mom?"

"Yeah."

"And then she left us?"

"Yeah."

"Well I met this woman, and the same thing happened to her family, but it was the father who isn't there anymore, and it's because he died in a car crash."

"Ok. And?"

"So we've been going out on a couple dates-"

"Wait! Dates!? When!?"

"While you were at school. But now that it's summer, we thought our families should meet for the first time."

"Ok, so what's her name?"

"Her name is Stormie."

"Ok, what's she like?"

"She's very kind. She has 4 kids-"

"Wait! So am I going to like... meet her kids too?"

"Yes. Their names are Rydel, Rocky, Ross, and Ryland."

"How am I supposed to remember all of those? They all sound so similar!"

"Riker, just calm down. I feel like you're making a big deal over nothing. Her kids are really nice."

"So when are we meeting them? And where?"

"We will be going over her house tomorrow for dinner. So I want you on your best behavior, ok?"

"Ok. But why are you dating her?"

"Because I like her. And she likes me. Don't you wish you had a mom, Riker?"

"Well... Yeah, but I wish I had mom, not some random lady."

"Well your mom made it clear she doesn't want to be a part of this family anymore."

"But how do you know for sure?"

"Riker, it's been years since we had any sort of contact with her. She's all the way in Florida. We're in Colorado. She's not coming back."

"I just don't know if I want some random lady as my mom."

"That's exactly why we're having our families meet."

I crossed my arms.

"Riker, I'm sure you'll have a good time. Try to have an open mind, ok?"

"Ok, but what are her kids like? Are they my age? Or are they older and going to pick on me?"

"Riker, they're really nice kids. They're all younger than you."

"So I'm going to be hanging out with a bunch of babies?"

"No. They're all about a year apart. The oldest is Rydel, and she's about a year younger than you. Then Rocky is about a year younger than her, then Ross, and then Ryland."

"What are we even going to do together?"

"I don't know. I'm sure you guys will find something to do together. Think of it as making new friends, ok?"

"Ok."

I headed upstairs to my bedroom. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. I don't want a new mom. I don't want siblings. I don't want to meet new people. I want my old mom back. Maybe dad is wrong. Maybe she just lost our phone number or our address and that's why she hasn't contacted us. Me and dad moved into a smaller house after she left, so maybe she just doesn't know where we live. It could be as simple as that.

I opened my desk drawer and started digging around in it. I know I have her phone number written down somewhere. But I don't know where.

I ended up dumping the contents of my desk drawer on the floor. But I couldn't find the piece of paper with her phone number on it. It's been a long time since I've seen it though. So I just need to keep looking, and I'm sure I'll find it eventually.

Rydel POV

"How old is he?" I asked.

"Riker is 12, one year older than you. So I want you all to make him feel welcome here tomorrow, ok?" Mom asked.

We all shook our heads.

"Ok, now I want you guys to go clean your rooms so that our house is nice and clean for when they get here tomorrow for dinner."

We all went upstairs. I'm pretty excited. Mom told me that she's been dating this guy named Mark for a little over a month. I know a month isn't a long time, but I can't stop thinking about the possibility of them getting married. Ever since dad died, it's been really hard. There are just things that mom can't do by herself. She doesn't know things about cars or how to fix things when they break. And none of my brothers are old enough yet to know how to do the kinds of things dad did around the house. 

We finally get to meet Mark and his son tomorrow, and I can't wait!