Chapter 20 : Broken promise

Chapter 20

A few days later...   

Riker POV

These past few days have been amazing. I was so sure they were going to get back together.

In fact, dad had to stay overnight in a different state for something for work, and he let me stay home by myself with mom.

And everything was going great. Until I woke up at 2:00 in the morning to the sound of loud music downstairs.

Mom had tucked me into bed around 10:00. I was really confused what was going on.

I got out of bed and slowly made my way downstairs. There were a bunch of people here who looked drunk.

Did she invite these people over? What's going on?

I started looking for her. And then I spotted her in the kitchen. She had a beer in her hand and my heart sank.

Suddenly, something hit me in the face and glass shattered everywhere. I heard a bunch of laughter. I looked up just in time to duck as some guy threw an empty beer bottle at me.

I sprinted back up to my room and locked my door.

I felt something dripping down my cheek, which made my heart start to race.

I gently touched my cheek and saw blood on my fingers. So I grabbed some tissues and held them to my cheek.

I didn't know what to do. It's 2:00 in the morning and dad is too far away to come do anything.

I grabbed my phone and called Stormie. I know it's literally the middle of the night, but I don't know what else to do and I don't want to get any more hurt than I already am.

"Riker?"

"I'm sorry for calling you so late! I just didn't know what to do!"

"Riker, honey. Calm down. It's ok. What's going on?"

"My dad isn't here. He's away for work. My mom is here. But there's all these people in our house, and loud music, and someone threw a beer bottle at my face!" I said, starting to cry.

"Riker, I'm coming to pick you up right now. Just stay calm. You're going to be fine."

"I'm sorry! I just didn't know what to do!"

"It's ok, honey. I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Ok."

She hung up. I opened my window. It was a bit of a drop to the ground since my room is on the second floor, but I really don't want to go downstairs and go out the front door. I don't want anything to get thrown at me.

After a few minutes, I saw Stormie park on the side of the road since there were a ton of cars in our driveway.

I sat down on the ledge of my window and then turned on my stomach and started slowly sliding down. But it was such a big drop down. I couldn't get myself to let go.

"Riker, let go. I've got you," Stormie said.

I slowly let go and felt Stormie's hands on my waist. She gently lowered me to the ground.

"Let's go, honey. You're safe now," she said, putting her arm around me.

She opened my door for me and I got in her car. We drove in silence. I was still crying. This is the end of mom and dad and us ever becoming a family.

I'm just so mad at mom. I'm mad that she promised me she was serious about being sober. And then broke that promise. It hasn't even been a week that she's been here!

How hard is it to just not drink alcohol? Does she even care about me? She just ruined everything!

When we got back to Stormie's house, she took me upstairs to the bathroom and cleaned the cut on my cheek and bandaged it up. It stung really bad. And then she took me down the hall to the guest bedroom that I've stayed in before.

"Riker, if you need anything, come wake me up. I'm going to call your dad first thing tomorrow morning. Try to get some sleep, honey. I know it's hard. But you need to get some rest."

I nodded. She tucked me into bed and then left. I don't know how I'm going to get any sleep tonight though.

I heard footsteps and then Rocky appeared in the doorway.

"Are you ok?" He whispered.

I shook my head no and sat up. He came and sat down next to me.

"What happened?" He asked.

I sighed. It's such a long story...

"Look, Rydel already sort of told me that your dad was thinking of proposing to my mom, if that has anything to do with this."

"No. It's not that. My mom was visiting from Florida. She promised me that she was serious about being sober. She's been an alcoholic her whole life and I barely know her. This was sort of her chance to prove she was responsible and not going to get drunk and she blew it. And I'm just so mad at her."

"Ok... I get that, but why are you here?"

"My dad's not home. He's away for work. I didn't know what to do, so I called your mom."

"Oh... Well good. Are you ok though?"

"Someone threw an empty beer bottle at me and it cut my cheek kind of bad."

"I'm sorry, Riker."

"I just don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight."

"Look, why don't you come sleep in my room? That way you're not alone. I don't think you should be alone right now. And if you want to talk, you have someone to talk to. You can wake me up if you need anything."

"Are you sure? I don't want to bother you."

"I'm sure. If our parents really do get married, we'll probably end up sharing a room anyway. Why not start now?"

I smiled slightly.

"Come on," Rocky said, getting up.

I got up and followed him to his room. He lifted the covers and let me get in his bed first. I slid over towards the wall and laid down.

"Seriously, Riker. If you need anything at all, just let me know, ok?"

"Thanks, Rocky."