-~𝟚𝟚~-

(CHAPTER 22)

why she had decided to sleep in a bush she couldn't remember, the cut on her forehead had settled to a dull throb, and her back like usual after a night sleeping on a hard surface was sore but not unbearable

hera's eyes were still filled with tears she had slept threw most of the morning prims death had only been an hour or two ago, cato by now would be awake and probably on the lookout for hera trying to find both her and prim who he didn't know as of yet was dead. hera always seemed to be searching for someone at the start it had been for prim and rue, then prim and Peeta, and now cato.

skipping breakfast, due to the fact that she had no food in her pack, hera returned to the river edge where she navigated her way to the cave cato had been sleeping in when she left for the cornucopia, and as she suspected it was empty both prim and Cato's packs were gone, there was no sign that anyone had been in there at all.

the river banks were stone so hera had no footprints to track cato with, she also noticed after a more thorough look at the river was bone dry, the water had miraculously disappeared, another ploy by the game makers the only source now if she had to bet was the lake by the cornucopia they had drained the water so the tributes would find each other.

fewer tributes meant less chance of finding someone randomly through the forest, glimmer would be by the cornucopia and thresh, well she didn't know after this morning's meeting with him she had been preoccupied with prim to notice in which direction he ran.

it was cato who she needed now and it was cato who now that she wanted him to win had disappeared. the only source of tracking was the cut vegetation that cato had a habit of trimming with his sword as he passed. if she thought about it logically cato would want to search the cornucopia for her. in not for her then for the packs that would in Claudius' view have something they desperately needed.

she was tempted to open the pack for two but she felt shed leave that until she found cato, he had as much right to open it as she did, it could in fact be more for him than hera depended on who needed something more.

the hike to the cornucopia was the same as it was a mere five hours previously, only her footfalls weren't obscured by the sound of the river, the floor surrounding the trees was covered in leaves both green and brown, and pine needles were also visible, hera watched her step a crunch of a dead leaf could be the difference between life and death.

prims body was gone the only remnant of her being there was a picked primrose that had fallen when she was picked up by the hovercraft. the table that had held their gifts was gone the mouth of the cornucopia was now wide open with the weapons that had been there since the first gong on the first day.