A SHORT HISTORY OF VANAHEIM

Vanaheim is one of the Nine Realms located around the World Tree, Yggdrasil. The inhabitants of Vanaheim are referred to as the Vanir, who have stronger connections with fertility and nature than their rivals, the Aesir of Asgard. Vanaheim lies to the southwest of Asgard on the World Tree and is almost directly north of Jotunheim, home of the ferocious Jotun.

   Vanaheim is also different from Asgard in that the ruler is a female. Freya is known for her beauty, her ability to be both a gentle ruler and a fierce warrior, and her young age. Her abilities as a Vanir diety center around those of fertility, blessings, love, and prophetic divination. For several centuries, Freya has refused marriage because of her love for being the ruler of Vanaheim. Many people have speculated that she will remain a bachelorette until death.

   However, despite the fact that she is not married, Freya did eventually give birth to a daughter who she named Amara. From birth, the child has been the center of many scandals and speculations, as the identity of her father remains a mystery. Regardless of the scandals, though, Amara is held in high regard by many as a beautiful and kind lady with abilities specializing in nature, illusion, and divination.

   Throughout the centuries, wars have erupted between Asgard and Vanaheim, mainly due to Asgardian concerns about the nature of the Vanir's magic. Fairly recently, however, peace has been established between Freya and Odin and the two realms are beginning to work together for the first time in thousands of years. It has been speculated that the young heirs to the throne of Asgard, brothers Thor and Loki, have become kindly acquainted with the lady Amara, which will hopefully lead to further peace between the two realms for centuries to come.

INDEX

AESIR (eye-sir) - The proper name for the inhabitants of the realm of Asgard. Most of the Aesir are known for being strong warriors, while some members of the race, such as the God Loki and Goddess Frigga, possess magical abilities.

AMARA (ah-MAR-ah) - Daughter of Freya (father unknown) and the direct heir to the throne of Vanaheim. Known for her beauty, kindness, and inherited magical abilities.

ASGARD (as-guard) - One of the Nine Realms which houses the Aesir race. Asgard is known for its Bifrost bridge and beautiful palace, home of the royal family containing Odin, Frigga, Thor, and Loki. On a map, Asgard lies directly north of Midgard and is the northernmost point of the World Tree.

FREYA (fray-uh) - Sole ruler of the realm of Vanaheim and mother of Amara. Known for her status as a bachelorette, her beauty, her unusually young ruling age, and unmatched magical abilities.

JOTUN (yo-tn) OR (joe-tn) - A race of giant, dangerous beasts that inhabit the realm of Jotunheim. Jotuns are known for their brutality and ability to create and withstand extremely cold temperatures. Informally, Jotuns may be referred to as "Frost Giants."

JOTUNHEIM (yo-tn-hime) OR (joe-tn-hime) - One of the Nine Realms which houses the Jotun race. The realm of Jotunheim is a desolate area of ice and debris, filled with savage Jotuns. On a map, Jotunheim lies directly south of Vanaheim and directly west of Niflheim.

LOKI (low-key) - The Asgardian God of Mischief and Lies who is second in line to inherit Asgard's throne. Loki is the adopted son of Odin and Frigga and the adopted younger brother of Thor. One of the biggest scandals of the royal Asgardian family revolves around Loki's true heritage, as only a few are aware of his adoption, he not being one of them. Loki is often thought of as a troublemaker and a born deceiver.

ODIN (oh-dn) - The infamous ruler of Asgard who was once a well-known warrior. Odin rules alongside his wife, Frigga, and has two heirs to his throne, Thor and Loki. Odin is known across the Nine Realms for his dictatorship-style ruling and strict punishments for wrongdoers.

THOR (th-ore) - The Asgardian God of Thunder who is first in line to inherit Asgard's throne. Thor is the only biological son of rulers Odin and Frigga, however, he was raised alongside his adopted brother, Loki. Thor is known across Asgard for his strength and humor and is well-liked by many.

VANAHEIM (van-uh-hime) - One of the Nine Realms which houses the Vanir race. Vanaheim is known for its natural beauty, as it is made up of natural wonders such as forests, waterfalls, and oceans. On a map, Vanaheim lies directly north of Jotunheim and southwest of Asgard.

VANIR (vuh-neer) OR (van-eer) - The race of beautiful gods and goddesses who inhabit the realm of Vanaheim. The Vanir are known for their powerful magic and studies in the art of divination.

YGGDRASIL (ig-drah-sill) - A famed tree that provides the layout for the Nine Realms. It is thought that the tree Yggdrasil lies at the center of all life, therefore it is used in all locational maps of the Nine Realms. On the tree, Asgard, home of the Aesir, is at the top, and Midgard, home of the humans, is in the middle. West of Midgard is Alfheim, home of the Light Elves, while to the east is Muspellheim, home of the Fire Giants and demons. Beneath the ground of Yddgrasil lies (from left to right), Vanaheim, home of the Vanir, Jotunheim, home of the Jotuns, Niflheim, a deserted land of ice and mist, Helheim, home of the dishonorable dead, and Nidavellir, home of the Dwarves. (Refer to photo below).

 (Refer to photo below)