Confession and Sin

The paparazzi nearly pounced on us the moment, Emir and I stepped out of the car. Apparently, we had made the headlines that day.

"Fashion Designer Emir Aslan's Sweeping Affair with Billionaire Businesswoman Sana Bianchi"

I was seething! But apparently, we were supposed to smile and act as if everything was alright. It was a bright and sunny day, perfect for the Derby Royale.

I wore a peach hand-knit midi dress with a formal blazer, pumps and a fabulous headpiece that had been a gift from princess Catarina of Spain at the Kentucky Derby. The netting covered my face and the effect was beautiful, regal and cold.

Emir of course had to wear a bespoke tweed suit and an chequered beret. It was daring.

We walked side-by-side greeting people and dodging malicious whispers.

It was the most difficult test to keep smiling when all I wanted to do was retaliate.

Jules had no doubt been behind this.

Emir didn't take us to the stands at first. Since, his own stallions were taking part in the races, I followed him to the stables first.

Our horse was called 'Osman'. His coat was like black silk and he seemed impatient to go out on track. Emir and I talked to the stablehands and the analysts who informed us that there was a good chance of Osman winning the races.

We walked around the race course keeping an eye out for Delacroix stables. I had a feeling Gauthier was going to be here. I just needed someone to help me meet him as he had denied every meeting with me.

The Derby Royale was the biggest derby of the year attended by businessmen, royals and racing fanatics alike.

We took our seats at the stands beside Lady Adela, a German countess descendant of Queen Victoria herself. We talked shop about fashion and racing.

"Who did you place your bets on?", I asked her.

"On JJ. Gauthier would be so mad otherwise if I were to place my bet on Osman.", Lady Adela winked.

" You know Gauthier?", I asked surprised.

"Of course I do. My husband takes a huge interest in racing. He invested in Delacroix racing last year.", she told me.

" Oh, that's great. He is an old friend of mine. Let us go meet him and wish him luck. ", I lied.

"What a coincidence! Of course, let us catch up with him together.", she agreed.

Emir was looking through his binoculars at the track.

I pulled his sleeve and whispered in his ear.

"We got him."

I could not see his eyes behind his aviators but he squeezed my fingers and turned his eyes towards the track again.

I had been waiting for that opportunity, to meet him without him denying me the permission to visit.

Now, I had the perfect excuse.

Lady Adela and I walked towards the stables with champagne glasses in our hands.

"Gauthier, what a pleasure old friend! ", Lady Adela exclaimed enthusiastically air-kissing him on both cheeks.

Gauthier smiled at her but then his eyes turned hard when he saw me.

"I made a friend here today, Ms. Bianchi. I assume you two know each other.", she said.

" Of course, Lady Adela. We are familiar..", he said flinty and polite but no one could mistake the frostiness in his tone.

"Ms.Bianchi, it's a surprise to see you here."