Scar Tissue

I did not know how I reached the hospital. Everything was a blur. My knees gave out, the moment the call got cut. All I knew, was that I uttered Joshua's name and Emir sprang into action. He must have broken the speed limit several times trying to get me to the hospital.

But, we were there. Finally, we were there.

We ran across the floor to the ICU.

"What happened?", I shrieked at the nurse in charge of Josh's care.

She looked grim.

The world stopped.

No. No. No. No. No.

Oh! My God, no!

Then she smiled. A big megawatt smile.

" Josh is awake, Ms. Bianchi. He responded to treatment."

My eyes closed. The world spun again. I let out a sob.

Oh! Thank the Lord!

"Dr.Ethan has been contacted as he was the doctor-in-charge of his case. Please come in, he is on video call. ", the nurse informed.

" Go. ", Emir said in my ear after he had pulled me in a hug. " I am waiting here."

I squeezed his hand and walked in.

____________

A gentle, smiling face peeped from under the covers of the white hospital bed sheet. That smile was brighter than the sun itself and those soft, brown eyes held all the stars in my sky. The whole of my universe softened in that smile. It was my blessing.

I couldn't explain the feeling that rose in the crypts of my heart. No one could except for a mother who had seen her child on his death bed and then by some miracle had him in her arms again.

"Ma-mi", said that soft voice that I would hole dear on the darkest days of my life. The relief, the sheer damn RELIEF of it. It was the relif of a wary pilgrim on the steps of a temple. It was the voice of God himself. The sweetest sound.

" Oh! Josh! Jesus."

I stumbled and held onto his fingers, warm again. I lay my head on the bed and sobbed.

"I-I....n-never thought I'd....I'd....hear you say m-mami again.", I cried.

The thought was most horrifying. To suddenly have my son taken away from me. It was the most helpless I had felt.

Josh slowly patted my hand twice.

" I- I-I am. Here...", he said slowly dragging each syllable.

"He is alright, Sana.", spoke a slightly distorted voice.

I turned up sharply.

Ethan's face popped up on the computer screen. I was not surprised by the crushing wave of loneliness that washed through me.

"Josh is alright.", he repeated slowly again. " And so am I."

"Can you give me a rundown?", I asked.

"He regained senses about two hours ago. There has been some nerve impairment during the accident which is why he is having trouble with speech. We are still running scans to determine the extent of damage.", he said, all professionalism.

"And his legs?",I asked quietly so Josh wouldn't hear me.

"No sensation in his legs, I am afraid."

His voice broke at the end of the sentence. We both fell silent. My throat was oppressed with unspoken things.