Chapter 1.

Years spending summer in New York City had toughened Maria Baez. She knew her way around and she knew where not to go. But still, the pit of unease in her stomach was there. She had never stayed here on her own before, always visiting with her whole family, never separated. Even though her family would be back tomorrow, to ask her why, she still felt scared. Part of it was nerves about moving, part of it was about the monster she was leaving behind. It wasn't a good relationship, Maria knew that, but still, she hadn't lived alone before.

Still, the 22 year old was independent enough to sort herself out, and within days she had got a place in the NYPD program. She worked hard, came 2nd in her class, climbed the ranks to detective, worked with the Feds for a year and then came back to the 54 squad. All in the space of seven years. Maria was creating her life, rewriting it the way she wanted it. She met new people, made some friends and began to socialize. She healed by enjoying life to the fullest.

She didn't expect to meet Danny Reagan under such weird circumstances. Going undercover in a gym was a little strange. She walked in and spotted him right away - he stuck out in the gym. Wearing the opposite of everything everybody else. She walks past him to the weights. He walks over with her and pretends to offer help. He fills her in on the case quietly.
"Drugs operation, ask that guy with the clipboard about getting some powder,"
She nods and he walks back to his rowing machine.
The weights are all set and she lifts a few before walking over to the water machine. She smiles at the clipboard guy and he walks over.
"You're lifting some weights over there, you must be very strong,"
"Oh thanks I work out a bunch but it gets harder over the years with bones and stuff. Sometimes I need a little... helping hand,"
She then puts her cup in the bin and is not surprised to see him look back at her as she starts lifting again.
After about an hour, she has a sheen of sweat on her forehead and needs more water. The clipboard guy comes over.
"Do you need a helping hand now?" He asks her quietly leaning over to her.
"Do you have it?" She isn't too pushy, not too withdrawn. She sees him look her up and down and decide.
"Yeah out back. " he becons her to follow him. She does and they walk to a storeroom. He ruffles around in a box and then pulls out teh bag of white powder. She hands him the cash, hoping the Bluetooth on her phone is picking all of this up.
"This enough?"
"Yeah"
She takes the bag and tries to leave but he blocks her way.
"That's not all your payment yet," he leers, walking threateningly towards her.
She takes out her badge and tells him to move.
"You're a cop!" He cries, lunging at her.
She hits him and he crumbles to the ground.
"It's detective, actually."

As the team clears up and gathers the evidence, Danny congratulates her.
"That was good police work," he says.
"Thanks, you were pretty good too," she smiles.
"I did nothing,"
"That was what was so good about it,"
They laugh.