Chapter 6

Within a week, Maria had a new apartment in Brooklyn, not far from Dannys. 

Its quite close to Dannys house, and they usually commute together. 

"So, how's the girlfriend?" 

Danny glares at her, then snaps his eyes back to the road. "She's not my girlfriend."

Maria smirks at him. "Daniel Reagan, you can't lie at all. You've gone on 5 dates with Laura."

Danny frowns. "How do you even know?"

"I have my contacts."

"Sean?"

"We chat. While you run late," 

"That kid," Danny shakes his head. 

"Stop changing the subject. Do you like her?" 

He flushes. "Maria - this is -"

"So that's a yes then. When are you meeting her next?" She grins. 

"Tonight," he says, smiling. "9 hours of you to deal with until then,"

"Until you see your love," Maria beams at him.

Danny scowls at her and turns up the radio.

"So, do you want to interview the witnesses or the family?" Maria asks Danny. 

"Why are you letting me decide?" Danny replies. 

"I figured you had a late night with Laura."

"Im gonna interview the family," Danny fake smiles and walks off to the house. The victim had been putting out the bins when a car had driven by, and the driver shot him. There had been a couple of witnesses, and the family had been in the house. 

"Any leads?" Danny questions. 

"Yeah, all the witnesses lied to the first cops here. There was no car. The shot came from the other side of the street. I looked around there, and i got this," she holds up a plastic bag that has a gun in it. 

Danny nods. "Well done. The family thinks it was the older brother as they had an argument. The brother has a record of violence. He's not been seen for a while."

"Hes gonna recover," the nurse tells them. 

Danny goes into question him while Maria pulls out her phone to check for any news on the gun. 

The case is solved before dark. They head home at six oclock. Danny drops Maria off. 

"Have a good weekend Reagan. See you Sunday," Maria says. She got an invite from Erin to join them for Sunday dinner. Erin and Maria are good friends since they met at a previous Sunday dinner. 

Danny doesnt realise she going and assumes shes making another joke about how he'll go working to avoid chatting to Laura about feelings. 

"Good night Baez," 

He drives off and Maria watches his car go. 

"Welcome Maria," Frank says as he opens the door for Maria and Erin. 

"Thanks," Maria smiles. They go in, relieved to be out of the snow thats blowing everwhere. 

Once the table is full with food everbody sits down. Danny hasnt arived yet, but theres two empty seats. Jack and Nicki are already there, so Marias not sure who else is coming. Shes next to Erin and Eddie.

The door opens noisily and Danny and Laura walk in quickly, shutting it quickly to stop the snow coming in. The hall still looks like a blizzard hit it. 

"Sorry guys, snow is hard to drive in," Danny says, stepping into the dining room with Laura on his arm. Maria smiles at Laura. She worked some shifts with her a couple of years ago.

Frank leads grace and everbody starts to eat. 

The conversation turns to their job quickly. 

"The NYPD is runnign tones of operations lately, even some near my college," Jack mentions. 

"Yeah were trying to make action as more drugs enter the city," Frank says. 

"My office approved that operation very fast - you know the one to stop the drug dealing near that industrial yard and pier." Erin agrees. "I think the 54 squad are running it." 

"Yes Im involved in it," Maria says. 

"Fair play to you." Jamie says. "What about you Danny?"

"Ive been asked to do it." 

"Id like if you didnt, Danny." Laura says, gently. 

Danny frowns but doesnt say anything.