Chapter 2

In the 4 years she had worked with him, Maria had never seen Danny this disturbed about a case. They were tracking down a kidnapper who stole two kids.
"So, do you think this guy is working for Mano Sangreito?"  Maria asks.
"Why would I think that?" He retaliates.
"Because their father is the son of another gang that operates mostly in New Jersey. It makes sense."
He sighs and leans back on his chair.
"What is wrong with you today?" Maria enquires.
"Just this case, I have two children, and my job sometimes puts people at risk. I'm worried something like this will happen to me." He says.

"Look, these guys are criminals, and they run gangs, so they are intertwined with crime. They put their families at risk. You help bring the bad guys off the street, doing a good thing." Maria explains. "You put your kids in danger by not taking them off the street."
He looks slightly reassured and straightens up.
"Ok, I think the gang connections are a good place to start. How about we ask the leader of Mano Sangreito to talk?"
Maria reaches for the phone.

"So, do you know this guy?" Danny asks the leader of Mano Sangreito. They're sitting with him in a bar, Danny is holding up a picture of the father of the kidnapped kids.

The suspect glances at the picture. "Maybe,"

"You sure?" Maria questions. "Ever have any argument about territory or anything with him?"

"I don't have arguments with people," he says.
"And if I did, I wouldn't go off kidnapping his children. It's a dirty job. Now I'd like you to leave."

"That's nice," Danny says. "He barely gave up anything,"
"But he did give up. it's not his job to enforce. Someone else did it for him. Mano Sangreito has plenty of hitmen, but only one ever touched that gang." Maria replies as they walk to the car.

When they get to the new suspects house, all the blinds are drawn and windows shut. Danny and Maria close the car doors silently and draw their guns. The front door is locked, and they ring the bell.
A woman opens the door and looks shocked to see them.
"Police," she stutters.
"Is there anyone else home?" Danny asks.
"Yeah, in the kitchen," she says.
They walk stealthily towards the kitchen, and the suspect is right there. He gets off his chair to hug his wife.
He puts up his hands. "Detectives, the two children I rescued are in Canada with their grandparents. The man who acts like a victim lied to you. He does have enemies and he's not a good guy. Those children were abused and their mother couldn't stop it. I could."
Danny grabbed handcuffs and put them on him.
"I'm still putting you in handcuffs, and you can write your statement at the squad,"