Chapter 5

"Heres all the information we have on the vics." Danny says, putting a folder down in front of Maria. She's sitting on his couch just after finishing an online therapy session. Danny has just gotten back from work. 

Maria has been living at Dannys house for a week. It's been nice letting someone else take care of her. Sean has been studying in his room most of the time, and Danny and Maria have been discussing the case most days. Maria has also sold her house, as the market was just right to make a good profit. She's been looking at properties. 

"Any updates?" Maria asks. 

Danny knows she feels guilty about not working, but he convinced her to take this one break. "Kind of," he shows her a picture. "Do you know her?"

Maria looks at it. "That's the secretary,"

"Really?"

"Yeah, that's her," 

"Well, that helps a lot. She was seen walking around the area where they lived. Richard had recently moved to the city. She new him, and i think he was at the same company as Darren,"

"That's a good lead," 

He sighs. "It's different without you. Im working with Laura. She likes to discuss things over lunch, not a dozen snacks,"

"That's difficult."

"Anyway, I'll not bore you,"

"No, it's interesting,"

"Okay. Well, basically, she is very stratigic and loves making plans. When we tour, she seems genuinely trying to get to know me."

"Reagan, she likes you," Maria says.

Danny blushes. "She doesn't,"

"She does. She's always had a soft spot for you since you helped her clean that coffee up a couple of years ago. She always asks to change partners. You should ask her out."

Danny looks shocked. "She does?"

"Yes, Danny, she does," Maira says. "Call her,"

"Maybe, but what do I say?"

"Dinner, tonight, the italian place near the squad." Maria grins. 

"What about you and Sean,"

"I can make edible food,"

"Okay then," he dials her number and walks into the hall. 

Maria smiles to herself. 

"So, are you okay with your dad dating again?" Maria asks Sean over a bowl of noodles from the chinese. 

"Yeah, i guess. It's a bit weird, though, seeing he's getting a girlfriend again," Sean says, while eating a spring roll. 

"You'll get used to it, he wont do anything. You're not comfortable," 

"Just as long as he's happy," 

"You're one wise kid," Maria laughs. 

"You've got her?" Maria asks, sitting at the kitchen table. 

Danny smiles, leaning against the sink. "Yeah, confession and all. Both of them assaulted her. The judge will be lienent. It wasn't directed at you. She found a cops house and left the bodies."

Maria felt sick."How did she know?" she says.

"We're looking for that now. Are Youre going to move, though?"

"Yeah, bad memories," 

Danny nods. "It'll be okay. A fresh start willing be good,"