*Chapter 9

Danny paces up and down the length of the desks. Maria is late. They were supposed to be investigating a suspect together, an alleged murderer. 

He rings her, impatience catching up with him.

Voicemail. 

"Hey its Maria, call back later, probably working,"

"Maria pick up im worried," he says before hanging up. 

"Any word from her?" His seargant asks, walking by. 

Danny shakes his head. 

"Youre sure shes not interviewing the guy herself?" 

"Sarge she wouldnt do that - i hope,"

"Reagan youve done that a lot, just saying,"

Danny grabs his coat. "Ive gotta go,"

Maria opens her eyes. The room spins for a second before righting itself. She has a gag over her mouth and her hands and legs are tied. She cant remember where she is, except she walked out of her door and someone flew at her. She knows that it was someone dangerous. 

The room is high with shelves on the wall. The door is small and to her right. The wall is cold to her back. The shelves are full with boxes. 

Her phone buzzes. 

Its on the floor a few feet away from her. She tests the rope and finds its not too tight. Glancing around she sees no security cameras. The person who brought her here thought she would stay unconcious. Her phone rings. Unable to do anything but struggle with her ropes, she watches helplessly as it rings then goes to voicemail. 

"Maria pick up im worried," 

Danny. 

She must be late for work. They were gonna interview a suspect. Remembering who the case was about she knows the person who mugged her is the same guy. Danny could make the connection. Hopefully he'll find her, but she cant say how long itll take. Shes got to get free. Her spare gun around her ankle is still there. She has a chance. 

She pulls at the ropes. Her hand finds space and she pushes it through it. One hand comes free and she shakes off the ropes. She rips off the gag and the ropes around her legs. She picks up her phone and tries to call Danny. She opens her phone app but something tells her not to make noise. 

She takes out her gun. Creeping silently to the side of the door, she listens carefully. She can hear footsteps coming closer. She points her gun at the door and fires a quick text to Danny. 911. He should get the message. 

The door creaks open. Maria sees a man glance at the ropes on the floor and draw a gun. No police badge. 

He swings round and she opens fire on him. 

He pulls the trigger before he topples. 

Maria feels the bullet collide with her chest. 

Nobody else appears. He did it on his own. 

She collapses, pulling out her phone using her hand to staunch the flow of her blood. 

She makes one call. 

"Danny,"

"Where are you?" 

The blood is pouring over her fingers. 

"I love you," 

She cant stay concious. 

"Baez?," Danny drives even faster, turning a corner. 

Hes panicking. 

"MARIA,"

Maria isnt answering. He knows shes at the suspects house. The guy was known for targeting brunette women. He doesnt know whats happened but he called for backup when he saw Marias text a couple minutes ago. 

He pulls up outside the suspects house. 

Running to the front door he doesnt stop, kicks it down and  rushes in. Police and ambulance sirens arrive at the front of the building. 

Danny sees the door right in front of the front door is open. He runs in and sees Maria lying on the floor, blood surrounding her. Theres a dead guy lying on the other side of the room. 

"IN HERE AMBULANCE," he shouts. Hes trying to hold the wound on Marias stomach. Shes unconcious. 

Paramedics run in and pull him away. They rush to lift her onto a stretcher. He follows the paramedics to the ambulance and gets in after them. 

Hes sitting in the waiting room when Erin, Frank and Jamie walk in. 

They dont say anything as they sit around him. Eddie arrives with Nicky, Sean and Jack an hour late. 

They all pray. 

Jamie talks to the doctor. 

Erin gets Danny a water and makes him drink it. 

Two women sit near them. They have the same hair as Maria.

Her sister and mother. 

They sob without stopping. 

The doctor comes out a few hours later. 

"Shes alive," he announces, his face bleak. "Shes not stable. We'll inform you of any updates."

When he walks back in, Danny closes his eyes. Opening them he starts to tell his family what happened. How he should have picked her up this morning but she has started to get the train in. How he should have known that she is never late. How he should have gone straight away. 

Once he finishes and leans against his father, Erin tells him how he couldnt have changed it. 

Jamie nods. "Youre not to blame. Its the guy who kidnapped her. We have the security footage. She was kidnapped from her front door."

Danny sobs into Franks shoulder. "The last thing she said was- I love you,"

Erin cries. Nicky hugs her. 

The doctor emerges later on. 

"Shes stable now. You can see her in a while."

Danny drifts off into a restless sleep.