Chapter 13

"Riots in Manhattan and Brooklyn have injured 10 people so far. The protesters are disputing the right for people to come to New York seeking asylum to come illegally," the newsreader announces. The TV in the kitchen is tuned in to the news segment. Danny is watching it, looking more worried as pictures of trains stopped and cars alight. The newsreader is talking again. 

"People are protesting against the rioters, creating a sense of chaos around the busiest parts of the city,"

Maria walks down the stairs in casual clothes. She sees Danny worried and frowns, walking towards him.

"Whats up?" She asks. 

"Roits in Manhatten and Brooklyn," he replies, worried. 

She glances at the tv. "We're going to have to go into work,"

He nods. "Yeah. Jack and Sean were coming home this weekend. Nicky aswell. Its Gramps birthday. We cant even get them home now. The city isnt safe right now."

They pass a lot of riots on their way to the squad. 

Pulling up to the squad, people push against the car, crowding around the entrance to the prescinct squad. After getting through the crowd, Danny shoves open the door and they go in. 

"Sarge what do you need help with?" Danny calls to him. 

"Reagan, Baez can you organize a group to stop the crowd outside,"

Someone outside chucks a brick in. The glass shatters and it goes all over the floor. 

Sheilding his eyes, Danny shouts back "Yeah,"

They run upstairs and find the next floor in chaos. 

"Hey you!" Danny yells at a group of cops. "Can you gather a group to neutralize the crowd outside? Bring them back here!"

The crowd disperses and they run getting people to help.  

Maria tosses him his radio and he switches it on. 

"Will you grab some gear?" He asks her. 

She nods and runs to the supply room, giving out jackets that are bulletproof to each cop gathering around Danny. 

"Okay we need to press them back so the entrance is clear for more cops to help. Bulletproof jackets are because we dont know whats out there. You all have the vests aswell, you should be safe, if you see a gun shout and everybody surround it. Go out and follow this Seargant." He points to the young Seargant who gathered the most cops.

They march out in a line. 

Thuds come from upstairs. 

Maria glances at Danny. "We should check that out."

"You think?" He deadpans, drawing his gun. 

"Haha," she draws her gun and going up the stairs. 

Danny follows her and when they get to the top they find two protesters fighting two cops. Theyre throwing punches at each other. 

Maria and Danny run in.