15. L'acceptation - The Acceptance

My driver dropped me home, and I got out of the white Mercedes Benz

My driver dropped me home, and I got out of the white Mercedes Benz. Huffing out a tired breath, I stood mindlessly in front of the main door. Water trickled down in a fountain at the back of the house, it's calming footsteps soothing my exhausted soul. Just hearing that delightful sound made me feel so much better, watching it would be such a joy.

Reminding myself to visit the garden while I stayed here, I trudged towards the door in my black kitten heels. Cathy greeted me as soon as I opened the door, as if she had been waiting for my arrival.

"Oh, you're here so early today!" She said, sounding more alarmed than happy to see me.

"Uh yeah, I went to visit mama in the hospital. Is something the matter?" I asked with confusion.

Cathy didn't answer my question, but laughed awkwardly. "Oh, she is? I wasn't aware of that. Is she too bad?"

"She'll be fine. Thank you for asking."

I made my way inside the house, already getting accustomed to the layout of this place. I had no idea of what the rest of the house contained, but I didn't care. I wasn't here to spy on them, and I was just happy I knew the way to my room.

Entering my simple room, I placed my bag in the wardrobe, and my glasses on the bedside table. As soon as I undressed to take a bath, I slapped my forehead. I should have asked Cathy if André was still home.

Well, I would eventually find out in a couple of minutes. A nice, hot shower to cleanse and recollect my senses was my first priority right now. My senses were most important to me, especially whenever I was in André's proximity.

Damn his cold, silvery eyes.

Fifteen minutes later, I finally made my way down the white staircase, and there was still no sight of André, or anyone, for that matter. Peeking around the corner, I saw a few maids whispering to themselves. Their expressions looked quite worried, and their faces were pale from fright.

Was the lady boss home? Cathy didn't mention anything about her?

But, then again, she too looked a bit pale. Her awkwardness wasn't something I'd imagined, she was really nervous. Looking back at those maids, I observed them for a moment, and saw how their eyes frequently traveled to a peculiar direction.

What was in that direction? I suddenly got incredibly curious, and while keeping an eye on them, tiptoed toward the other end of the hallway. Just to my luck, the four maids turned to themselves, probably to gossip some more, which gave me the perfect timing to run inside the hallway without being noticed.

I wondered why I was doing something like this; going to such lengths to satiate my curiosity. Just moments ago, I was content with being in my corner, but now my skin was crawling with curiosity. Something in my guts told me that I should be where I was heading towards, I was just listening to myself.