29. Le masque - The Mask

Dozens of reporters had covered our car from all sides, and glares welcomed my eyes everywhere

Dozens of reporters had covered our car from all sides, and glares welcomed my eyes everywhere. Among all the pandemonium and fuss, all I could see clearly was André's hand. A straw in the storm, that's how it felt. Without a second thought, I placed my hand in his, and stepped out of the car.

My cold hand felt protected in his warm calloused palm, like he would protect me from everything. As I stood up, the reporters swarmed us, clicking a string of pictures and hysterically asking questions.

"Please pose for a picture here!"

"Why are you marrying so early?"

"Is it true that you've been dating for only six months?"

"Mr. Beaumont, what about all the scandals you have caused with so many actresses and models?"

"Mr. Beaumont, were you really never in a relationship with Madison Thomas?"

The questions kept on being fired left and right, making me tense and nervous. Since this was my first public appearance with André, I had expected it to be hectic, but not to this extent. It was as if these people were already aware that we were a fake couple, and were purposely asking such questions to help spill the truth.

It was as if they had already taken Madison's side, and were criticizing me for jumping in between a successful couple. In my knowledge, André and Madison were never a couple, not even in private. It didn't make sense for the media to push the idea of them together so aggressively, especially on André's engagement dinner night. These people were mean and disrespectful, to the both of us.

The frown on my face wiped off once André leaned down to whisper something in my ear. "Don't make that face, love. You can't let them know you're uncomfortable. These people live for that shit."

His low voice, and those lips touching my ear sent shivers down my spine. My heart beat quickened, as if I'd run ten miles. I looked at him, silently protesting with my eyes. Why was he doing this to me? Was it because of that stupid challenge? Or was it something else?

I straightened under his stare, and he slipped his arm around my waist. Pulling me right by his side, he started walking up the red carpet that was laid for us. Brice and other bodyguards tried to keep the reporters away as much as possible, while we reached the top of the stairs.

Halting for a moment, he turned us around. With his hand still on my waist, we posed for the cameras. I even showed the huge diamond that was seated on my ring finger, which caused an uproar among the paparazzi. Some quietly took pictures, while some complimented it, saying it was the largest ring they had ever seen.

The workers opened the doors to the hall for us, and we stepped inside, away from all the conundrum. An employee of the hotel that was booked for tonight led us towards the main room. Since the floor was emptied for tonight, we didn't run into any other guests, but I could feel the eyes of the employees around me. Trying to ignore the consciousness that was building up inside me, I walked confidently and with grace.