31. Le baiser - The Kiss

The first music piece soon came to an end, and in that short two second break, I finally blinked for the first time

The first music piece soon came to an end, and in that short two second break, I finally blinked for the first time. I was still standing extremely close to André, but the trance was finally broken.

The lights slowly came to life, and the music picked up pace as well. I looked around and noticed that the other couples had followed suit, and were encircling us in pairs. I spotted Lily dancing with Janvier, Martin with one of the models for our season, and Madison with Brice.

Although I was looking at them, my mind was all muddled and I didn't have the courage to face André anymore. I didn't know what was happening between us anymore, but our closeness still flustered me. Never in my wildest dreams had I imagined that somewhere down the line, I would be engaged to someone and have my first dance with them.

But the most unbelievable part was that it would all be fake. And that was also the most hurtful part.

When common sense settled in again, I admonished myself for losing myself so easily. This man was called a player for a reson – he was experienced in acting all cool and charming and draw ladies to him. He could do this a thousand more times without blinking an eye, and here I was, totally losing my sanity after one dance. This was probably nothing to him.

Feeling more and more uncomfortable in the same arms that brought me so much warmth, I finally faced him again. This time, I had worn my indifferent facade once more, and I wouldn't remove it ever.

"Can I go home now? I'm exhausted," I whispered for him to hear.

He stood there puzzled, still twirling us around. After a beat, he nodded. "Come with me."

Amongst all the chatter and the sound of the orchestra, nobody really noticed when we disappeared. Taking the elevator for the basement, we stood in absolute silence. My heart was still beating really fast, and I was scared he would know if I said something.

The elevator opened to reveal a basement floor, where André's driver had supposedly parked the car. Since the reporters weren't allowed to enter the hotel, they wouldn't be able to mob us anymore. André lead me through rows filled with dozens of cars before we came to a halt in front of a red car. This car was unfamiliar to me, and I wondered why we had stopped here.

When I looked at André, he simply replied, "The reporters are still outside, and they recognize my car."

Nodding, I quietly sat in the backseat. This man was more puzzling than I'd thought. How did he know all the ways to avoid the media and protect himself, yet still be the talk of the town and be known as the most problematic bachelor? Was he really an impulsive and idiotic man, or was he pretending to be one?

No way, he just knew all of this because he must have gone through this many times before.

Having to sit in the same car as him was another nightmare, but I held myself. I had to endure this, if I wanted to go home. At least, I was finally away from all those pretentious strangers. One more hour, and I too would become one of them.