33. Le déjeuner - Lunch

In the haste of driving André out of my workplace, and my own concerns, I'd forgotten I was supposed to avoid him

In the haste of driving André out of my workplace, and my own concerns, I'd forgotten I was supposed to avoid him. A different kind of panic seized me as I realized I'd voluntarily gone out with him, when I should have avoided him.

But I couldn't really use any sort of excuse when he'd appeared in front of my coworkers, because that wouldn't look good at all. André really was the Devil, he knew what he was doing all along. With a heavy heart, and knowing what was awaiting me, I got into his black sports car.

My fingers started to play with the pleats on my long grey skirt, but I willed them to sit still. It could be seen as a sign of nervousness, and it would definitely contradict my image of perfect nonchalance. If I would succeed in maintaining it, that is.

"What do you wanna eat?" André asked from the driver's seat, getting ready to drive.

"I'm addicted to chicken sandwiches sold in that diner four blocks away. Can we go there for a quick meal?" I asked, knowing he wouldn't ever agree on it.

He remarked, "Do you really want me to go to a diner? We're going to the restaurant I usually visit."

I scoffed in wonder. "Why did you even ask me, then? Just do whatever you want to!"

Huffing, I turned away from him. Who the hell was he to order me to do as he said? Now, I'd have to spend more time with him than I intended to. Maybe I could use that to propose my idea. But what if he rejected it outright? Would I have to convince him by any means?

"What's wrong? You seem off today?" André suddenly asked me.

I turned to face him, still in shock that he had initiated all this. What had gotten into him? Why was he doing this to me? He caught me staring at him and remarked haughtily.

"My face is gonna melt if you keep looking at it. I need my handsomeness intact."

My face turned red, but not because of coyness. I was livid, frustrated even. Was he this annoying when he wasn't being all cold and unapproachable? Probably, I should tell him to just go back to being his usual cutting and cynical self.

"Nothing is particularly off. It wasn't, until you came in." Feeling petty, I decided to put all the blame on him.

"Are you sure you're miffed with me? You're the one who so recklessly crashed into my world, but have a problem now that you have me on your tail? That's not like you," he fired back, making me stiffen in my seat.

He literally traveled back to the very beginning and decided to blame me for everything. He was just trying to win against me, and proved he was more petty than me.

"What's not like me?" I asked him, curious to know if he actually knew anything about me.

"When we first met, you were this controlled time bomb, ready to explode at any time. Persistent and consistent with your words, you recited your goals and ambitions with utmost confidence. You looked untouchable, admirable even."

"Admirable?"

"Hmm. You were so sure you would be unaffected by whomever you meet and whatever happens here. I guess that's not the case now?" He asked, and I knew instantly what he was talking about.

I had shown him that he wouldn't be able to break me, but that was because I felt threatened by him. I didn't want to be seen as a weak woman who could be tossed aside any day. I wasn't aware that my strength would attract him to me, or that I would actually let my guard down. I wasn't aware that feelings would get involved, and I would struggle to remain unaffected. That too, so soon.

Blood rushed to my cheeks at his indirect comment, and I cursed him internally. He was hell bent on broaching that topic, while I was persistent to steer away from it. It was a dangerous tug of war between us, but I was sure I would win this time. When it came to my will power, when André thought I was admirable.

"I'm still unaffected. But as I walk along this path, I'm bound to get embroiled in other people's plans, emotions and precipitate actions. It's inevitable, and I've now made peace with it."

As I finished speaking, I looked over to André to gauge his reaction. Although his eyes were on the road, I saw a sliver of flash in his eyes, and the subtle clenching of his jaw. I smiled in victory, knowing my breezy tone had ticked him off.

None of us talked after that, and shortly, we reached the place he'd chosen for us. The place being talked about was a high end restaurant. I'd traveled past it a few times, but never had the heart to actually enter it. Of course, André wouldn't have to think about that.

Parking the car, André and I stepped out. He came over to my side and held my hand in his. Surprised, I looked up at him.

"What are you doing?" I asked him in a low tone so that no one could hear us.

"What do you think I'm doing? We're a couple, remember?" He said sarcastically, but seemed to be enjoying it a lot.

Huffing, I let him hold my hand as he led me inside. The hostess greeted us, and led us to the table reserved for us, but I couldn't focus on anything. Sure, the decor of the restaurant was gorgeous and aesthetically pleasing, and the menu boasted of spectacular food, but that wasn't on my mind. I was more concerned with the tingling sensations that returned to my skin after I held André's hand again.

I didn't know if he was doing this for the show, or if he was doing this to torture me. Nevertheless, I hated him in that moment. More than I'd ever hated him.

As I sat across from him, the space came as a relief for me. I asked him, "Why did you suddenly decide to have dinner with me?"

He sighed, and opened his mouth to speak, but was intervened by the waitress. Ordering spaghetti and wine for the both of us, he closed the menu book. Spaghetti must be both of our favorite food, it seemed.

Once the waitress walked away with our orders, André sat back in his seat, laid back and confident. "Do you really wanna know the truth? Would you be able to handle it?"

His tone held his usual arrogance, and I faltered. Did I really want to know the reasons behind why André Beaumont acted in a certain way? Or did I just want to pass my time as I ate?

Going with the former option, I replied, "Yes, I want to know. Whats the reason we're suddenly appealing to the public?"

Without missing a beat, he said, "Its because of the kiss we shared that night. More precisely, because you ran away, and were avoiding me till this day."

I had lifted the glass of water to my lips, but as soon as I heard him say that, I choked on my water. Feeling short of breath and having droplets of water traveling down my neck, I fumbled for a tissue.

In the meantime, André reached forward with a tissue in hand and wiped my lips for me. Traveling to my neck, he slowly wiped the remaining droplets of water. He did that while maintaining eye contact, while I could feel bits of his fingertips touching my tender neck. Choked and still, my eyes widened and I gulped.

What was this man doing to me?

♣︎ ♣︎ ♣︎