PART 11 - THE SUMMER BALL

ALICE

At the age of eighteen I'm embarrassed to admit that this is the first ball I've ever been to. I mean I've danced in my bedroom when no one's watching or around the kitchen with the radio's playing when I was back on the farm, but I've not been to anything like this. I've certainly never had a date to one!

As a category three listed wolf, it naturally makes you a bit of an outcaste in a pack. High School is a bitch to live through anyways without having the label that your wolf can't be controlled. I've never had any friends because of it, a handful of people talk to me from time to time, but I know that's more out of pity than anything else. I keep myself to myself. Eat alone. Study alone. The perfect wallflower for any event.

My father has always been super protective of me ever since the rogue attack took his son and wife from him. Even though he works up at the main pack house as a cook, he kept on the farm for me, so I had the privacy to run out my wolf. I was banned from shifting elsewhere on pack lands when I turned nine by the former Beta, Ezra, who's Jay's dad. The long wheat helps to keep me hidden as I'd run endless loops around the fields. As my dad would be away from the farm a lot I'd often sneak into the barn to practice with my mums old weapons pretending to be her or I'd just sit in my brother old room curled up on his bed, reading his old books and listening to his records. His room is pretty much unchanged since the last time he was in it. Neither me nor my dad having the heart to remove his memories from it.

My life has been so repetitive, just so insanely fucking dull up until now.

The only thing that has gotten me through the loneliness and the bullying is that now I'm eighteen I can finally leave the farm for good. Whether or not I'm a category three wolf the leaders must assign me a career by the end of summer so I can start my new life away from High School, I just hope that route takes me to being on the Elite Squad. Unfortunately, with how Gamma Cole has been with me, that dream seems to be slipping away. His hot and cold mood swings make me feel so unsure if he even thinks I'm worthy to be on his team let alone if he even likes me.

"Hey, did you hear what I said?" Beta Jay says as he squeezes my hand as we walk up the steps of the ballroom. I can already hear the heavy thump of music playing from within.

"I'm sorry...I...umm. I missed what you said. I guess I'm a bit nervous. I don't go to these types of things much, especially with the packs Beta." I smile at him, hoping he's not offending that I just zoned out in his company. Probably best not mention it's because of was thinking about the packs Gamma.

Jay gives a little chuckle and smiles at me warmly before pulling me round to face him. His dark red hair flicking into his emerald, green eyes like normal. "I said, you look absolutely beautiful Alice."

Beta Jay looks extremely handsome tonight in his dark suit and forest green shirt and black tie. I feel a little underdressed and if I'm truly honest inferior stood next to him. I'm still pinching myself he's actually asked me to be his date.

My cheeks burn up at the compliment, I look down at my dark navy dress to check it looks OK before smiling back at him. "Thanks, I don't get much chance to wear a dress on the farm. I wasn't sure if this looked OK for the dance, it was my mom's favourite dress." I explain nervously.

Jay tilts his head to the side to scan over my face affectionately then he reaches forward to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. However, he doesn't remove his hand, instead he cups my cheek and pulls me forward. Before I know what's happening his arm goes around my waist and he's pulls me into a long slow kiss. I think I'm in shock as it's not quite the fireworks I was hoping for when I imagined this happening. Jay slowly pulls away with a smile on his lips. I smile back at him nervously, suddenly feeling so unsure about all this.

All of a sudden, I get that prickly feel on my skin that feeling you get when you're being watched. Looking over my shoulder I turn back to find Alpha Drake and Gamma Cole standing at the bottom of the stairs both looking jaw droppingly handsome in their black-tie suits. Alpha Drake has a cocky grin on his face; however my focus goes straight to Cole. His face is completely emotionless and cold, his eyes look almost black, distant, and void as he scans what I'm wearing from head to toe. My wolf whines in my head, hating how Cole is looking at me with such a dislike it makes my insides want to crumble.

Taking a step back, I pull out of Jays arms. "Hi." I say apprehensively.

"You're blocking our path." Growls Gamma Cole coldly. Alpha Drake snickers at Cole's attitude as if this is the norm for him to act before Drake heads up the steps and I immediately step aside and show my neck in submission as I was always taught in the presence of the Alpha. Drake nods to me and then his Beta as he passes by, shortly followed by Gamma Cole.

As Cole passes by me, his eyes flick onto mine for the briefest of seconds before he disappears through the doors leaving me feel like I've done something wrong.

"Ready?" Smiles Beta Jay as he takes my hand and kisses the back of it, completely ignoring Coles bad vibes. Before I can reply he pulls me through the doors and into the darkened ballroom that's alive with loud music.