twenty.

EVA HAD ONE HAND OVER HER MOUTH TO HOLD BACK TEARS. Jeremiah was crying. He hadn't even tried to stop himself. He slid his finger on the screen of Susannah's phone while continuing to read the email that offered a solution to treat her cancer. Basically, it said that if she didn't do it, she would die, but the treatment was also unlikely to work.

      Jeremiah turned off the screen, running a hand through his hair as tears rolled down his cheeks. Eva grabbed his face to rest it against her and she gently stroked his hair trying not to cry too. She didn't say anything, she just hugged him. She knew the situation well enough to know that the words would only hurt him more.

      They stayed like that for long minutes before deciding to go back to the ball. When they entered the room, all the debutantes and their partners were dancing.

"I made you miss the dance..." Jeremiah whispered.

"I don't care." she replied, taking his hand.

      They approached their parents' table and Susannah turned to them with a questionning look.

"My darlings, where have you been?" she asked them.

"Uh, I- I ate something." Jeremiah lied. "I think maybe the shrimp was bad."

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry."

      Eva squeezed his hand a little harder to show him that she was there and he closed his eyes, holding her hand firmly, grateful.

      The dance ended and everyone clapped. Jeremiah looked at his brother who was dancing with Belly and turned to his mom.

"I'll be right back."

"Oh, honey, are you going to be sick again? I'm gonna take you a ginger ale." Susannah exclaimed, leaving to the bar.

      Eva followed when Jeremiah approached the dance floor and grabbed Conrad's arm.

"Hey, guys, where were you?" Belly asked.

"Conrad, we need to talk, all right?" Jeremiah ignored her with a worried tone. "It's important, it's about Mom. I found something out."

"Um... yeah... we'll talk about this later, okay?" her brother answered and Eva frowned.

"No, it's important!" Jeremiah insisted.

"It's okay." Conrad said, laying a hand on his little brother's chest.

      Jeremiah looked at his hand and looked back at Conrad with a shocked expression.

"You already know, don't you?" he whispered. "You knew this whole fucking time and didn't tell me?" he was angry now.

"Jere..." Eva tried to calm him down.

      Jeremiah glared at his brother and suddenly punched him hard before throwing himself on him as everyone gasped. The two boys rolled on the ground slapping each other as everyone moved away.

"Jeremiah, stop!" Eva yelled.

"Stop it!" Susannah exclaimed, approaching her. "Both of you, stop it!"

      The two boys let go abruptly and got up each on their side.

"What is going on?" Susannah asked, clearly mad.

"Mom..." Jeremiah tried to begin, tears in his voice.

"We know, mom." Conrad said for him. "We both know."

     Eva squeezed Jeremiah's hand in hers as they walked down the beach. After a long discussion with her two sons, Susannah had decided to agree to try the treatment suggested by the doctors, even if it was not guaranteed to work. That was enough to give everyone hope.

"If it doesn't work, I honestly don't know what I would do." Jeremiah whispered. "I need her."

"I know." replied Eva softly. "I know. She'll be fine. I'm sure she will."

"I hope so." the boy said.

     They stopped and he took Eva's hands in his to kiss them before looking at her. She was wearing the hoodie, his hoodie. He slid a hand to her cheek and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

"You are so beautiful." he whispered.

"Shut up." she giggled nervously.

"Why? I'm only telling the truth."

"Well, thank you." she smiled.

"I just wanted to say thank you for everything. You don't know how good you make me feel and how much you help me every day." Jeremiah told her.

     She smiled.

"You're welcome."

     She slipped a hand around his neck and stood on her tiptoes to place a kiss on his lips before pulling away and meeting his eyes.

"No matter what, I will always be here for you. You will always get me."

     And he nodded.

"I know."

— here we are 'hoodie' is officially over for now! but i'll be back for season 2 because i will miss these babies so much 🥺

here we are 'hoodie' is officially over for now! but i'll be back for season 2 because i will miss these babies so much 🥺

i love you all so much and i honestly didn't think anyone would read that so thank you to all the people who read, comment and vote!

see you next year for season 2 <3
(and maybe check my others books? ;) anyway bye)