― 𝐬𝐢𝐱

───── ⚔ ─────

chapter six: the Careers wouldn't be of any use to her after the first day

──────────

𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐀 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐍𝐄-𝐎𝐍-𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐓 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐒 𝐀 𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒. It was exhausting— waking up at five every morning, going on a run with her mentor, then drinking a thick smoothie before strength training. After that, they would each take a short nap before heading back to the training centre for weapons training. Then they would eat Lunch on the 2nd floor and get some free time. After dinner, Visha and Hunter would train one last time before falling asleep at ten sharp. 

Now, it is time for the mandatory group sessions. Visha stands in the elevator, dressed in black athletic shorts and a maroon sports bra, with her lips pressed together to keep herself from laughing.

Gideon is giving her and Blake a lecture about being on their best behavior and not letting anyone see that they don't like each other. Visha knows that she would most likely not cause any problems, but Blake the Demon is a whole other story. It was futile trying to get him to behave, because he didn't know what the word meant. And, since Gideon likely knew that, he stared at Blake the whole time he gives his little speech, which Visha notices fairly quickly. Her mouth twists into a secretive smile, eyes glinting as she watches the way her mentor talks to Blake.

"She's laughing at me," Blake complains to their mentor.

Visha stands straighter, removing all hints of amusement from her face, and narrows her eyes. "I am not!" She denies vehemently. 

But Gideon barely spares her a side glance. "I would too," he tells Blake. "If I were her."

Now, Visha actually snickers.

Seeing that, Blake shoots her a glare that says You're dead meat, Devi. But the dark-haired girl rolls her eyes, ignoring it. She isn't scared of him. What's there to be scared of?

Finally, the elevator lands on the Training Centre floor. As the doors open, Blake and Visha spill out of the machine, Gideon following behind. They walk down a hallway before entering the gymnasium-like centre Visha had come to know so well. Only this time, instead of only having weapons in racks and mats on the floor, the room is full of bars and obstacle courses too.

The few tributes already there— One and Four, judging from the numbered cloth stuck to their clothing— stand in a rough circle. Someone pins a number 2 cloth to Visha's clothing, and then to Blake's.

Gideon takes that as his cue to leave.

The other tributes trail into the gymnasium within the next five minutes. Once there are 24 tributes, all gathered in the circle, a dark-skinned woman named Atala steps into the centre and begins to explain the training schedule. Experts in each skill would remain at their stations. Tributes are free to travel from area to area as they chose, per the mentors' instructions. Some of the stations teach survival skills, others fighting techniques. Tributes are forbidden to engage in any combative exercise with another tribute. There are assistants on hand if they wanted to practice with a partner.