― 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

───── ⚔ ─────

chapter twenty-eight: let's change that

──────────

𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐑-𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐓𝐇 𝐌𝐈𝐑𝐑𝐎𝐑 𝐈𝐍 𝐀 𝐒𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐍 𝐆𝐎𝐖𝐍, 𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐀 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐂𝐔𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐅 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐀𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐆𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐎𝐍'𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐃𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆. She had never been a fan of big occasions, or dressing up, and, on top of that, all of her muscles ached from  training the kids at the Academy. Boy, they sure knew how to wear her out. Visha sighs, fidgeting with the cowl neckline of the dress that revealed more cleavage than she liked. 

Magdalena― who Visha now affectionately referred to as Magda― walks into the dressing room and beams. "How are you feeling?" She questions, even though it's her wedding day and not Visha's. 

"Great!" Visha forces a smile. It turns genuine as she looks at the delight on Magda's face. The older woman's long, blond hair is pulled back into an elegant braid with curls framing her face and flowers in her hair. She has on natural makeup, and is wearing the most beautiful bridal gown; complete with a tulle skirt, lace flowers, and flouncy chiffon sleeves. Magda looks ethereal, and Visha tells her this. 

Magda flushes, and then fidgets with her necklace. "Do you think he'll like it?" 

Visha crosses the room and takes the older woman's hand in hers, comforting for once in her life. "Gideon will love it. He loves you." 

This is nothing but the truth. Although gruff and standoffish to everyone else, to Magda, Gideon was warm and bright like the sun. She was his everything, and anyone in District 2 could see that they were made for each other. They made each other happy. And, although Visha very much disliked her mentor at times, even she wouldn't deny that they were perfect together. 

"I love him," Magda smiles back. "I just― I can't believe it's today. My wedding. Gideon and I will finally be together, like we've always wanted." 

It's left unspoken that the Capitol had prevented this union until now. Visha squeezes Magda's hand comfortingly. "You're going to have the best day," she promises. Just then, the wedding bells chime. "It's time," Visha says. "Are you ready to become Mrs. Kane?" 

"I've been ready for the past fifteen years of my life," Magda says, and Visha hands her a bouquet of white roses. President Snow had specifically requested they be the flowers for the ceremony, disregarding Magda's choice of white lilies and lavenders. But Visha and Hunter had snuck in a few lavenders into the final bouquet. A small act of rebellion that, when Magda laid eyes upon, she beamed. "Thank you. I haven't said this before but, you are my perfect bridesmaid, Visha. I appreciate everything you've done for me these past few days." 

And Visha can't help but smile, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. Magda's warmth had been unexpected, but welcome all the same. However Visha hadn't expected to grow so close to the older woman in such a short amount of time. One could say that Magda and Gideon had adopted Visha into the Victors fold as their honourary daughter. They certainly behaved as if that were the case. "Magda, if anyone deserves happiness, it's you. Now, I think Gideon may have a heart attack if we don't walk through the doors in the next minute..."