― 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

───── ⚔ ─────

chapter twenty-four: does it ever get better?

──────────

𝐀𝐓 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐓, 𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐇𝐀'𝐒 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐕𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐈𝐍 𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎. She can hardly contain herself, legs bouncing up and down, as the vehicle braces to a steaming stop and pulls into the station. Before Visha can almost-literally jump out of the train, Hunter wraps an arm around her and holds her back. 

She shoots him a questioning glance. "What?" 

"Tread carefully," Gideon answers for him. "You may be the Capitol's Victor, but to District 2, Blake was the one who was supposed to win the Crown." 

Visha furrows her brows. "Does it really matter?" She tilts her head to the side. An irrational hatred towards Blake grows within her― how infuriating was it to play second fiddle to someone who was dead? "District 2 has another Victor. Who cares if it's Blake or me?" 

"It might not be the case," Hunter says, shooting the older man a pointed look. "Just... be careful." 

"Fine," she pouts, and slowly makes her way to the doors of the train, both her Mentors trailing behind her. As the doors open with a great heave, Visha's face brightens up with a wide smile as she steps back into her District. 

Her home

There are some of her fellow Trainees from the Academy waiting for her at the station. They greet her with applause, smiles, and hugs― as if they hadn't absolutely hated her guts mere weeks ago. Visha smiles, though, and accepts the praise. 

Hunter pushes her to "keep going", and they make their way out of the train station. The crowd disperses, and Visha frowns. "What a welcome," she mutters sarcastically. Her eyes dart around the newly abandoned structure. She turns to Gideon and Hunter, chewing her bottom lip. "Where's Aife? You said I'd see her in District 2. We're in District 2. So... where is she?" 

Visha pretends not to see Gideon and Hunter exchange yet another look, tapping her foot impatiently on the concrete ground. "I'm waiting," she mutters crossly, still glancing around to catch a glimpse of the redhead. 

"We'll take you to her," Hunter speaks up after a few minutes of silence. 

Even though she is suspicious of what is happening, Visha nods. "Let's go, then."