Chapter Twenty

Taylor's POV

"Hello?" I answer my phone that was ringing, bringing me out of my slumber. I feel my head pounding as I try to open my puffy eyes. I cried myself to sleep last night, go figure. I had too much to drink, and I got my heart broken. It was not a great combination.

"Tay? What the fuck happened?" I hear Selena's voice on the other end of the phone. I roll my eyes, I'm sure she's already talked with Cari.

"I honestly am not ready to talk about it," I say flatly, being honest with her. I don't care what Cari's excuses are.

"Taylor, you misunderstood," she tries explaining for Cari, "She-"

"-Selena, stop. I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to hear her excuses," I say, interrupting her. I lay my head back down, placing her on speaker phone.

"You need to hear her out Taylor. She's not seeing anyone," Selena says, seeming to believe whatever bullshit Cari decided to tell her.

"I don't care what Fletcher is doing, who she is seeing, or what her excuses are," I say firmly, standing my ground. She needs to stop playing match maker with two people who are not meant to be together. 

"She's seeing you," Selena says loudly, trying to talk over me. I go silent for a second, not knowing what to say or feel.

"She made it very clear that she is in fact, not seeing me," I say flatly, "If you're going to keep talking about her, I am going to hang up this damn phone," my tone becomes harsh. I feel empty, almost meaningless.

"Well, you wanted things private, Tay, why would she tell Shannon she's seeing you, when you guys haven't discussed it and you basically want her to sign an NDA? You didn't even let her explain anything," Selena says, as if I am in the wrong.

"Exactly, we never said we were seeing each other. That's why I know she's seeing someone else, when she told Shannon she is seeing someone," I say as if Selena is an idiot.

"Well, she thought you guys were kind of together, so that's what she said, she thought you would know," Selena tries explaining Cari's point of view more, but I am not falling for any of the lies that Fletcher told her. 

"You weren't there, Sel. You don't know what happened. I'm done with her," I say, ending the conversation about Cari. 

"I know I wasn't there, but I did hear how heartbroken Cari was on the phone. I did hear her side of things. I can see your point of view as well, I'm on the outside looking in, and I think you should give her a chance to talk to you before you cut her off," Selena says, her voice is kind and genuine, "I want you to be happy, and I know how happy she can make you, just give her a chance to talk before you throw everything away," she finishes her sentence

"She was heartbroken?" I give in, feeling concerned about her for a moment.

"Extremely. She was ugly crying on the phone and everything, Tay," Selena says with much concern about the brown-eyed singer.

"I don't get why," my anger for Fletcher comes back, "It's not like I'm the one seeing other people," I say feeling tears threatening to fall. I knew I was going to wake up and spend today crying, but I didn't think it would happen the second I woke up.

"She isn't, Tay! Hear her out, please," Selena pleads once more. I hang up the phone without another word. Selena doesn't need to hear me cry, and I need time to process everything that happened last night, without her convincing me otherwise. I close my eyes and cry for a bit, letting tears fall at their own will, sobs pouring out on their own. I don't know how much time has passed, before the crying stops. It could've been hours. It felt like hours. My body is drained, my heart physically hurts in my chest. My eyes are swollen and bloodshot. She really hurt me, and we weren't even together. I never considered how much this one might hurt. I really convinced myself that it was going to be her.