Chapter Twenty-One

Cari's POV

"Sel, I'm fine!" I say into the phone, unconvincingly. I don't even believe myself, and I don't expect her to believe me. I sit down on my couch, my hand on my forehead. Taylor freaked out the other night. 

We went to a party together, and of course, my ex showed up. She wasn't leaving me alone, so I told her that I am seeing someone, and I assumed Taylor thought I was talking about her, because we have had this thing going on for quite some time now. Though, when we got to my house after the party, she was crying and yelling, thinking I was seeing someone else. She left; she didn't come inside to grab her stuff. She won't even let me explain that I meant she was the person I am seeing. 

I know she's hurting, and I know she needs space. I just wish she would answer my calls, let me talk to her. Everything got so twisted and miscommunicated, that I don't know how to fix this with her. I truly think she will never talk to me again, and I'm hurting. Selena keeps calling to check on me, and the truth is, I'm not fine at all. I was really falling for her, and really thought we had something good going. I thought we were going to be something. Now that's all stripped away, and I can't even get a text back from her.

Of course, I've thought about showing up at her place. I know she's still in LA. I know she's just as upset as I am, but I doubt that she would answer the door. I don't think she wants to see me. I don't think she wants anything to do with me.

"She will come around," Selena says softly into the phone, I feel a tear fall down my cheek, as I shake my head, "Cari, she will. I talked with her a lot yesterday," for some reason, this actually gives me an ounce of hope.

"What did she say? Is she okay?" The words fall from my mouth quickly. I've been extremely concerned for her and her wellbeing and have heard nothing from her at all.

"She's... about the same as you," Sel starts, making me frown, "but I'm pretty sure she's going to talk to you sometime soon. She was a little hardheaded at first, but I tried to explain as best I could for you, and I think she's coming around. Don't count on it, but I'm pretty sure she's going to talk to you," she finishes, and I know she's smiling. I can't help the smile that takes over my face. Maybe things with Taylor will be okay. Maybe we will get to figure things out and have something. 

"You really think she's going to talk to me?" I squeal like a little kid on Christmas, almost jumping up and down on my couch. I can't believe I might get the chance to work things out with her.

"I do, but please be very honest and open with her, she's very flighty, so be careful with your words if you guys do end up talking," she says to me, honestly, letting me know Taylor's emotional state. As if on que, I get a text. I pull the phone away from my ear, telling Selena to hold on.

Tay 💕: Come over for lunch? I think we should talk.

"Sel," I put the phone back to my ear, "she texted me, asking me to come over for lunch," I say, excitement taking over my entire being. 

"Well, are you going to?" Selena asks, and I can hear the smirk in her voice. What a dumb question.

"Yes, I gotta go get ready!" I almost yell, being so hyped about getting this chance to speak with the girl of my dreams. I end the phone call, running into my bathroom to take a shower. I start the water, so it can heat up while I text Taylor back.

Me: What time would you like for me to be there?

I impatiently stare at my phone, waiting for a reply. It's already 11AM, I need to get ready and make sure I am not even a minute late.