Chapter 30

Snakefang

I lay still in the medicine den, she places marigold onto my neck and by my eye. She starts wrapping cobwebs on my wounds.
"All cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the high rock for a clan meeting." Riverstar's yowl echoes around the clearing and she nods her head at her deputy, Goldensound. She nods her head back and pads off to the nursery.

A few minutes later. Goldensound appears again with Mountainpelt's body hanging limp in her jaws. Surprise fills the camp and small mutering.
"Mountainpelt betrayed our clan," she begins "I had to kill her. She went into the nursery and attacked Snakefang. She had slashed at her neck and re-opened wounds by her lost eye. When I came in to see what had happened she attacked me. First time she slashed away at my throat, making me loose a life. I ripped open her belly. Before she died she ripped mine open. As I woke up from loosing another life, I saw her breathing slow down." Yowls off shock fill the camp. Riverstar looks out onto them. Her gaze flicks onto me and Grapefur, sitting in the entrence of the medicine den.
"Meeting dismissed."

As she leaps  down from the high rock, she looks at me. She pads over towards us. I look over at my sister then back at her.
"Are your kits ok?" She asks us. We nod our heads at our kits. They waddle out and sit by us. I lick my two on the head and Grapefur does the same. Riverstar smiles then pads off.
"Feed her body to the crows." One cat shouts.
"Leave her to be crow food!" Another yowls. Galaxyeyes' eyes shine as she drags Mountainpelt's body out of camp. I hear a soft thud as it lands onto the floor. Galaxyeyes pads back into camp.
"For the crows!" She shouts. Riverstar nods her head, smiling.