Chap. 5

FRIDAY, JULY 27TH, 1978

KATIE'S POV: 

I've given up. Deep down, there is no chance he could be alive. My brother's scent is stained above, where I hope he watches over  me. I miss him. I miss him more than anything. I don't even want to look anymore. I don't want to find his body. I don't want proof he's really dead, that he's really gone. 

I'll always love him. I know that. I know I will never get over his disappearance. Everybody's moved on, and now it's time for me to move on too. But I can't tell anybody that. I can't tell Gwen I believe her brother and best friend are dead. I can't tell Cooper that his best friend is dead. I just can't. 

So here we are, walking along the gravel sidewalk, as I hold a missing poster marking my brother's name and disappearance. Gwen was sick and wasn't able to join us, so it was just me and Cooper today. 

"Hey, you okay?" he asked me, sliding his arm around my shoulders. "Hm? Oh, yeah I'm fine" I muttered, and he rolled his eyes. "You're a really bad liar" he laughed, and I smiled back at him. "Well, I'm not lying" I said, crunching up the missing posters in my palms. 

"Wait!" I shouted, running away from Cooper. "What the f*ck?" he said, confused, yet he followed me. "Look!" I shouted, and he groaned. "Dude.." he said, staring at what was in front of us. Black balloons. 

"Somebody forgot his sh*t" Cooper muttered, as I picked up the evidence. "I'm taking this home with me. Be right back!" I shouted, running home. "OK!" Cooper shouted in the background. I climbed through my window, plopped the balloons down, and ran back to Cooper. 

He wasn't there. I searched, and searched, breath shortening. "COOPER!" I shouted, searching. Where the hell is he? Did The Grabber catch him? What happened? That's when I saw him. 

Over there. 

With Emma...

____________

MEANWHILE: 

COOPERS POV: 

"Hey handsome" Emma Hutchen looked at me, and I rolled my eyes at her. "What the f*ck do you want, Emma?" I asked, and she giggled. "Do you think I look cute?" she asked me, twirling around in her dress. Or maybe it was a skirt. I honestly don't know and have no idea.

"No, it's ugly" I said, trying to walk away. Nope, she didn't let me do that. Dammit. "Wait!" she said, and I wanted to start crying. I hate this girl so damn much. Why. "What?" I groaned. "Listen, you're pretty, I'm pretty, let's go out sometime?" 

"No, you're not pretty, and I have a girlfriend." I blurted. Oh sh*t. "Really, I don't see her" Emma retorted, and I panicked. "She's coming!" I shouted, and turned behind me to see Katie. "Katie! Babe! Come here!" 

Oh sh*t, she's going to kill me. "What?" she asked me, eyes furrowed with confusion. Without hesitation, I kissed her, and she actually kissed me back. I was enjoying this, but she pulled away to actually breathe. 

"This is my girlfriend!" I said, wrapping my arm around Katie who was confused as f*ck. However, I think she caught on, because she kissed me again, and said "f*ck off, Emma" as Emma stormed off. 

Once she was far out of view, I knew I was deep sh*t. "What the f*ck, Cooper!" she shouted at me, and I sighed. "She was all over me! And I hate her a little too much, so I told her I had a girlfriend, and she wanted proof. I'm sorry!" 

She looked at me, her eyes softer, as her lips curled into a smile. "It's fine, I liked it" she said, kissing my cheek, and just walking away. I felt the lipstick stain press against my cheek, as her long blonde hair blew with the wind. 

"Holy sh*t" I muttered, walking home. 

Katherine Showalter just kissed me! 

________________

MEANWHILE: 

YOUR POV: 

"You...have a plan?" Vance asked. It was the next morning, and nobody had dared speak of what Griff said last night. "I never said that. I said I could figure it out." Griffin shrugged, and Robin stared at him. "Well? Can we get a damn plan?" Robin asked, and I agreed. 

"Honestly, Griffin. Please" I begged, and he sighed. "Well, I'm too damn short to check every place. So, until we find a ladder, we're screwed." Griffin retorted, and Billy looked over. "Vance and Bruce are the height of ladders, just use them!" 

"I'd be okay with that.." 

"F*ck no? You'll ruin my damn hair!" 

"Vance..your hair has been ruined for a year. You're in a f*cking basement. It can't get much worse" 

"Oh f*ck off!" 

I rolled my eyes at the boys, as they argued over Vance's hair. To tell you the truth, it was a f*cking mess. But I couldn't tell him that. "Guys! The plan!" 

"Oh right! The plan! I've got an idea!" 

________________

MEANWHILE:

KATIE AND COOPER

THIRD PERSON POV: 

Katie skipped along the path, eyes wide and smiling lips. Her blonde hair was left down today, and she dressed herself in a skirt and plaid vest with a white blouse underneath. She turned around, looking at Cooper, who was lighting a cigarette and walking slowly. 

"Hey! Put that out!" she exclaimed, and he laughed. "Hell no! Want one?" he offered, and she stopped walking to wait for him. When he finally caught up, he handed her one. "No sir. I do not need breathing issues, and neither do you." she said, taking his out of his mouth and stomping it. 

"Hey! That was my last onee!" he groaned, and Katie stared back. "What would your coach say?" 

"He wouldn't caree!" 

"Sure buddy" 

Katie started to hum, still skipping happily. "You're acting like a six year old" Cooper laughed, and she glared at him. "I'm having fun!" "That's considered fun..yikes" 

"Try it!" 

"No." 

"Yes." 

"Hell no." 

"Hell yes." 

"I swear if anybody sees this" 

He tried, failing miserably. Katie burst out laughing at his terrible attempt at skipping, as he stopped. "You can't skip!" 

"Oh leave me alone! It's been awhile!" 

Katie continued to laugh, as a man approached them. 

"Hello, are you Katherine Showalter?" 

________________________________________________________________________________

I've officially fallen in love with Katie.