Chapter 16 (New)

"Earth to Audry," Trish says waving her hand in front of my face trying to get my attention

"Earth to Audry," Trish says waving her hand in front of my face trying to get my attention. I blink and come out from my thoughts for a second.

"Sorry, what?" I ask shaking my head a little to clear it.

"You've been staring out the window at nothing for the past five minutes," Trish replies. "You're either daydreaming or you're not exactly yourself today."

"I'm fine," I reply taking a bite of my breakfast like that's enough proof for them to be happy with. "These eggs are so good. You should try them."

"This kind of reminds me of the time when dad took us both fishing," Cameron starts, "when I was so bored and I was pretending to sit by the lake quietly like I was actually fishing when really I was asleep and Audry covered for me."

"Oh, yeah, I told him you were 'in the moment'," I recall. "I'm surprised he believed it. I could hear you snoring from ten feet away."

"I wasn't snoring!" Cameron exclaims. "I was making a call to the fishes."

"You two are so weird," Trish says shaking her head at us. "Like, seriously, why am I friends with you guys?"

"That's a very good question, Trish," I say nodding. "Maybe you should evaluate that further."

"Shut up and eat your bacon," she replies. "Anyway, have either of you guys seen Amber this morning? She said she'd meet up with us for breakfast but I haven't seen her around since we got up."

"Oh, I think she wanted to call her brother," Cameron says. "It's his 13th birthday today."

"Poor little guy," Trish shakes her head. "It only goes downhill from there."

"See, for some stupid reason I used to think it only got better," Cameron says. "I was a dumb kid apparently."

"I'm pretty sure at sixteen we were still hoping for a miracle," I point out. "At least I was. I think I've given up on that for eighteen."

"Yeah, eighteen isn't any better," Cameron shakes her head. "Because you go from wondering what you'll wear tomorrow to panicking about getting into college and then you start thinking about how if you don't get in you'll end up working as a secretary for the rest of your life and maybe not make enough to get you own place and then you're stuck on your parent's' couch for the rest of your life and you'll end up dying alone, bitter and with twelve cats watching reruns of Golden Girls on the weekend because you have no friends." Once she finishes, me and Trish can't do anything but stare at her for a moment both worrying about her mental health in my head I'm thinking about whether or not I'll end up being like her next year when it's my turn to send in applications for college. I wonder if I'll be just as insane as her or even worse. I love my sister, don't get me wrong, but one thing I don't want to end up being is the embodiment of crazy that is Cameron Blue. I'm pretty sure her name is one of the definitions in the dictionary for the word 'crazy'. I've been too scared to look it up myself.