Chapter 6 (New)

I know they always say that family road trips are fun and laid back with tons of laughter and smiles and just overall a big bucket of sunshine and rainbows starting from point A until you get to point B with a huge smile on your face and nothing c...

I know they always say that family road trips are fun and laid back with tons of laughter and smiles and just overall a big bucket of sunshine and rainbows starting from point A until you get to point B with a huge smile on your face and nothing could be better than it already is because you're with people that love you and you love them. That's crap.

The truth is, family road trips are stressful and even though you're only driving for an hour or two whether it's to the store or a different city, the car gets smaller and smaller as the minutes go by and you find yourself closer to going crazy. Especially when you have to breath in nail polish fumes for an hour that gives you a major headache, have to listen to your parents sing show tunes all the way and most importantly, have to listen to your sister ask every freaking ten minutes when we'll get to where we're going. On top of all that, having to stop every half hour to stretch your legs just slows down the process and makes you even more hungry than you've ever been, considering the only thing you had to eat during the ride was a turkey sandwich and nothing else because your sister steals your chips. Then you end up with a growling stomach and you're being forced to wait because your aunt is already cooking dinner for when you arrive and according to the parental laws, it's impolite to show up on a full stomach with dinner already waiting on the table for you when the trip is over. I also stupidly packed my headphones in my backpack that I threw into the trunk and my earbuds don't cancel out any surrounding sounds so it's useless to even turn the volume up all the way to try to ignore everyone's talking, singing and complaining.

So yeah. Tons of sunshine indeed.

"Ugh, when are we gonna be there already?" Cameron complains next to me. "We've been driving for forever!"

"We've only been on the road for an hour and a half," I reply. "If you would stop having to pee every fifteen minutes we would probably be there already."

"Girls," mom warns.

"Don't worry," dad says, "We should be there in about ten more minutes. Tops."

"That's what you said thirty minutes ago." I point out, knowing full well we have at least another half hour with the traffic being what it is.

"Okay, so my timing is a bit off. But this time is different. Ten minutes this time around. Promise." dad nods with finality.

Forty-five minutes later and we finally arrive at Aunt Libbie and Uncle Scott's house. We got a flat tire on the way here and of course, Cameron complained the entire time while waiting for dad to change it. Saying how much she hated road trips, how we should really invest in better quality tires, how there was a dead squirrel on the side of the road that smelled like rotting flesh. Duh. Even though it was still early in the afternoon, the traffic was horrible and it took so long to get the new tire on that by the time we were ready to get back on the road, we were stuck waiting at a gas station that smelled of old air freshener to wait out the hustle and bustle. Because of the traffic, we were stuck for twenty minutes after changing the tire which obviously did not bode well with our timing nor Cameron. Don't you just love the world?