Chapter 22: Love?

TW: Still Captivity, Cussing

*****************************

Dreams cheeks were burning as he saw George eat his sea plants. Unlike sirens, mermaids were herbivores.

Was I really just about to ask him if I could kiss him? What the hell is wrong with me?! I thought I was supposed to be the one attracting someone here!

...

..But I do wanna kiss him...

The heck?! I can't fall in love with him, he's a mermaid and we also just barely talked!

Then Dream realized what he had just thought. Love. Do I love him?, he asked himself. No! We can't!, his brain said. Yes!!! Yes! A thousand times yes!!, his heart screamed.

"Are you okay?" George's voice pulled him back into reality. "You look really red...", the merman said with a concerned look. "I-I'm fine!", Dream answered a bit too fast. His mind was racing. Love? Can it be? But I'm not supposed to love another species, am I?

Something hit him in the head. It was a little underwater snail. "You think too much", George huffed. "Eat something."

"You're pretty good at giving orders for a commoner", Dream commented, while grabbing the snail and slurping it's insides out, leaving the house to sink to the ground. George turned around, probably disgusted. "Y-yeah, I guess...", he mumbled.

"By the way, what do you wanna be when you're older?" He had turned to face him again. Dream noticed George trying to avoid the theme. He decided to play along.

King, Dream thought. He had never tried to imagine anything else since it was the path his ancestors had set for him.

"I... don't know, haven't thought about it yet", he responded, only telling half the truth. "And you?" George looked like he had a toothache. "I... don't know yet either."

They looked at eachother for a second, then Dream decided to break the ice. He burst out laughing. George joined in his laugh, he seemed to be relieved.

Yeah... If this is how love feels like, Dream thought, feeling warm and sunny inside when he heard George's cute laugh for the first time and saw his nose going up and down while laughing, I understand why people cherish it so much.