Chapter 29: Sirens

Alright. Chris was sitting at his table infront of a blank paper, a pen in his right hand. He would brainstorm ideas to save the fishhumans. Sadly, he had already come to the conclusion it would be impossible to save them without freeing them.

He wrote 'Free the mermen' in the middle of the paper and drew a circle around it. Then he drew a long line coming from the circle. 'Needs to look like they escaped on their own', he wrote. If he would be caught, he'd lose his job and he would probably also get arrested, since the mermen were technically owned by Mr. Hannoway.

He drew another line. 'Destroy cameras', he wrote on the end. The ship was filled with safety cameras. There was the first problem. How? And even if he found a way to destroy them, the evidence would immediatly lead to one of the scientists.

Chris sighed and ran a hand through his red hair. This was gonna be hard.

In the corner of his eyes, he spot a book in his bookshelf. He stood up, walked over to the shelf, grabbed it and opened it. It was an old book about mythical creatures, which had been made by one of his anchestors and had stayed in the family for centuries.

Chris carefully flipped the pages over until one caught his eye. 'Sirens', the title said. Under it was a picture of an abnormally beautiful woman with long orange hair and red tail. She was sitting on a big rock and singing with her eyes closed.

Chris started reading the handwritten text under the drawing. 'The siren is a mix of human and fish. Until now, all sirens spot are females, but I personally believe there are males somewhere too.

Sirens are very dangerous. They like sitting on rocks and singing, some brush their hair while doing that. With their supernatural beauty and their amazing voices, sirens seduce men and trick them into following them. Then they drag the poor guys underwater and kill them, probably to eat them.

To escape a siren, cover your ears until you can hear no sound. Don't look at them, especially not the eyes and drive past them as fast as you can.

They also like to sink ships, so be careful where you're driving and always make sure to have a map of your route with you.'

After reading the text, Chris took a deep breath. "Singing...", he mumbled. He had never noticed any of them singing. But... what wasn't yet could still come, right?

He walked over to his desk and started drawing more lines.