Chapter 5: Clearing the Stage

Curt POV

"SO WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED!" I shook Y/N back and forth.

"Calm down, Curt there is a reason for everything, right Y/N?" Connors looked at Y/N. She kind of shrugged and sat on the couch next to a tied up Norman. Norman's mouth was covered with web, but I could see from his expression that he was annoyed. Flint and Max arrived through the window. They both looked tired. Y/N got up and hugged Flint.

"Woah. It's okay. Where's Randy?" He said. She pointed to the kitchen table where he had fallen asleep working on homework. Max and Flint walked over to him. She returned to the couch. I looked over at her. She didn't look at me. I had only heard so much. Connors had tried to explain everything, but Y/N seemed distant. I decided to sit next to her on the couch. She continued to ignore my existence.

"Hey." I said.

"Hi." She replied. She still didn't look at me. Norman rolled his eyes.

"You okay?" I asked. I put my arm on her shoulder.

"I'm fine." She said scooting away from me, begrudgingly closer to Norman. I wanted to help, but I ended up just fiddling with my coat buttons. Connors glared at me. He obviously wanted me to push forward. I couldn't handle this. I hadn't been this nervous since the day Martha told me we needed to talk. That wasn't important at the moment though. I looked back at Y/N.

"I think we should talk." I finally said. I did what I used to do with my students. I took her to another room upstairs. All I did was let her talk.

"I don't know what to say, Curt!" She cried, "I just saw someone who is suppose to be dead, try to kill me!" We were in a bedroom. She sat at the foot of the bed. I didn't want to intrude much but I knew I had to do something.

"You mean Connor? Contour or I don't know." I stumbled. She looked at me with swollen eyes.

"You don't want to hear about this." She said getting up to leave.

I stopped her. "Of course I do!" I sat her on the bed and let her collect herself.

"It was around a couple years ago. I was in my last year of school. Connor and I had been friends all through High School. We were part of a trio with Genevieve...she is a friend of mine. One night we were driving back from a party. Connor was sitting next to me and Geny was in the back. There was no one on the road. It was just us. I wasn't drunk or anything, I could drive just fine. I guess the universe just wanted something to go wrong. Something red jumped in front of us. I tried to stop and I swerved. The car hit a tree and I looked over at Connor. He had hit the tree dead on from the car's angle. He was awake and Geny was calling 911. I could see by the wounds and the constant flow of blood that he might not make it. Everything was a blur...but he looked at me in his final moments. A few days before I had told him about my internship at Stark Industries. I guess he remembered because he said to me, 'With great power there must also come great responsibility.'" she paused. I listened to the words in my mind again and again. It was a strange but interesting line. "I ended up resigning from the internship. I couldn't do it. In some ways I feel like I should have. He said that to me because of the internship. He said it for nothing..." I looked at the ground. That line just didn't make sense. It felt so random in the mix of it all.

"It wasn't for nothing." I finally said, "It was for your future. I mean you had the power of the car and he was going to die because you crashed it! So it must mean it was your responsibility..."

"I can't tell if your trying to make me feel better or worse." She sobbed. I began to panic. Obviously, I had no idea what the line meant. It might have had something to do with the red thing.