Chapter 10: Go Fish

I sit atop the hill of green. I wait for my friend to come home. My friend might come back. His life is no more. I lost my friend what feels like a 1000 years ago. Years I lived alone. Now I'm lost in a multiverse with men of spiders and lizard creatures with strange goblins on thrones. Lost but found where I belong with all other mistakes. No one can find me, no one can be me, no one can stop me. I sit atop a throne of skulls. Goblins dance around me. All around, I heard cheers of joy and despair. I wish and wish for the world to cause me to drown. I hate it here and I hate the world that was created out of spite. We could have avoided this if it wasn't for a spider bite. I cannot hear, I cannot breathe, I cannot run away from this horrible place of grief. Where am I now and where are you? My dearest friend. I wish for you to return... this time not dead.

Y/N POV

I watched Connors give orders around the house. I had become saddened after many weeks of traveling the multiverse. My heart thumped rapidly as I could hear loud goblin bombs from outside. Curt would sit with me at the table, playing cards.

"Go fish?" He asked. I could see a patch of scales on his forehead. He must have transformed earlier. I wondered why Connors hadn't tried to turn back himself yet. The option applied to him. It made sense, though, that he would choose not to. He wasn't on the best terms with Peter and probably didn't want to seem accepting of Peter's cure theory.

"Seems simple. I thought you would be more of a poker person." I turned to look at him. The older man and I smile. Curt had been longing for my attention lately. He must know that we have a general location for his Peter. Curt shuffles the cards, gears working in his scaly head.

"I may seem like a gambler, but playing it safe may be the best way to go." The cars dance in shuffled patterns, fluttering out to me and Curt as they finish their shuffle.

"Safe? Says the man who turned into a lizard trying to kidnap me for Peter Parker." I picked up my cards and smirked. Two queens and two threes. A good start. We set out our first matches. My four cards and Curt's pair of eights.

"I was brainless during that time, admittedly. It's been a little tough since then, as you can tell." Curt looks around at the busy room. Peter, MJ, and Ned were doing research from whatever they could, newspapers, the small glimpses of the internet, and old pictures. Connors was working with Contour on pinpointing Curt's Peter's location. Everyone was doing something, except for Curt and I. Was I useless? I admit I wasn't very helpful yet. Yet...

"Stop with that look." Curt interrupted my thoughts. He fiddled with his cards, his stare intense.

"I'm sorry it bothered you." I said plainly, "You have a 9?"

"Go fish." Curt shuffled through his cards. I grabbed a new card from the deck. It looked different from the rest of the deck. It had a set of coordinates on it. I looked at Curt, confused. He smiled.

"What is this-"

"I found him." Curt looked to the others, who weren't looking. The scales on his forehead seemed to grow as he grew more cautious.

"Found who?" I asked nervously. I tightened my grip on my cards. Contour looked at Curt and nodded. What was he up to? Curt stood up and patted me on the back.

"I'm afraid I need to use the bathroom. I'm sure Contour could play a few rounds for me." Curt said, walking towards that bathroom door.

"In your dreams, lizard boy." Contour laughed. He put a hand on Connors' shoulder as he walked over to me.

"What game are you two playing?" I asked sternly. I set my cards down, leaning closer to Contour.

"Go fish?" He responded with a cocky grin, "Have a 5?"

I handed him my 5. He smiled, setting the pair down.

"You know what I mean." I hissed. I was losing my patience. All of this had made me absolutely impatient after all the crazy shit that had happened the last few days. God, was it hard to look at Contour! He looked so much like my old friend. What happened to those simpler days? It felt like it would never come back, the good days.

"Just stay calm. You have nothing to worry about." Contour kept my gaze steady.

"Y/N!" Peter suddenly yelled. He came up to our table. "Curt is gone."

"What? He said he was going to the bathroom!" I said, shockingly.

"I knew this day would come." Connors hissed.

The room was now a mess as Contour twisted the strange card in his hand. On the back was a spider. I had a feeling I knew what Curt meant now.