20 April - Kashaf

I could never have imagined that after seven years, Zaroon Junaid would once again try to ruin my life. I have never met a more pig-headed or horrid person in all my years.

I was so tired today. I had to oversee the preparation of some important political leader's meeting. Mom's call came as a surprise to me. Asking me how I was, she said.

"A very good marriage proposal came for you today."

I didn't think her words were too surprising. I know she's quite worried about my marriage these days.

"They are very rich people. I don't even know how they happened to come to our home."

"Please make it to the point, mother. I don't need to hear long lists about their excellency." I wanted to sleep as soon as I could.

"They have come from Lahore. They have a huge business. They want your hand for their youngest son. He was in you M.A class and these days he's working in the Ministry of External Affairs. He is in Islamabad these days. He even left his card with us. His name is-"

"Zaroon Junaid, right?!" I had already guesses who the "amazing" person was.

"How did you know?" Mom was surprised.

"What you should do right now is tell me his home phone number and forget this proposal."

Mom got worried. "What do you want to do, Kashaf?"

"Nothing. Just give me the number."

She hesitated but gave me the number. Then I kept dialing the number but no one picked up. After a few tries, someone finally picked up the phone. I repeated the number.

"Yes. Who do you want to talk to?"

"Please call Zaroon to the pone if he's available."

"Yes, he is at home. What is your name?"

"My name is Sayema, I'm his friend."

He told me to wait and then went away. The voice that sounded a few moments later wasn't hard to recognize. It was Zaroon.

"Hello. Who is this?" I was unable to speak for a few seconds due to my fury. Then I said, "How dare you send your parents to my home?!"

"Oh, its you. I was expecting your call but not so soon. Listen, I'm having dinner at the moment, how about you ring me later?"

"I will not call you again. The only reason I called was to tell you to refrain from such actions in the future."

"Look, we'll talk about this. I'll ring you myself."

Before I could say anything, he ended the call. About half an hour later, he called.

"I will repeat what I said, do not send your parents to my home again."

"Why?"

"Because that's my home and I don't like people like you going there."

"That is not your home. Your home is where I live. As for my parents, well I can't stop them. They want me married and they will look for a girl in whatever house they like."

I nearly shook with rage at his words.

"If they come to my home again, I will insult them."

"You can't do that."

"Try me."

I slammed the phone. He didn't try to call me again and that at least made me a bit relieved.

I don't even know where he got my address from. He's bent on stirring up trouble for me. Why can't he let me be at peace? I guess, peace just isn't written in my fate.